*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983780-The-Red-Lotus
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#983780 added May 17, 2020 at 10:21am
Restrictions: None
The Red Lotus

In the year 1980 (if I remember well) the celebration of the Durga puja festival was scheduled to be held at Bombay, Vile Parle, in the presence of Sri Sri Ma Anandamayi. A few months before the celebration Sri Ma was at Kankahal. She had the Kheyal that similar celebration should be held also at Kankhal Ashram in grand style although She Herself would not be there physically. A Pujari had to come specially from Calcutta with his own party. Before leaving Kankhal Sri Ma worked out all the details with Shri Ram Panjwani and others. I do not know the reason why Sri Ma had suddendly this kheyal, but I was convinced that as she had taken so much interest for the arrangement of this puja at Kankhal she would be present at that time in some subtle form. When the time of the Durga Festival was nearing a very beautiful Durga Murti was brought to our Ashram through the kindness of Shri Ram Panjwani. The Pujari came from Calcutta with a big party. There were only a few ashramites as most of them had gone to Bombay with Sri Ma.
The Puja started at Kankhal. There was an excellent atmosphere, that kind joyous festival feeling which is so familiar to those who have been present to functions with Shri Ma's physical presence. (Although it was not so intense as when Sri Ma is there in Her physical body.) Myself (as I rarely leave my room in the morning) used to come in the evening for the Arati and for the sandhi puja.
One evening (perhaps Ashtami or Navami) during the Arati I was looking at the Durga Murti it was one of the most beautiful I had ever seen, and seemed full of life. Was it Ma's presence or some divine presence or simply my imagination ? this was the kind of thought in my mind at that time. " After all", I thought "it is only an image of clay. Perhaps it is my imagination that gives it life". Then I decided to make some test. Looking at the Murti I started a conversation with HER:-
"Mother! If you are really alive, and not simply an image of clay, grant me a boon". And I asked for a boon, then: "if you really hear me, and if you grant me the boon, please give me a sign." Which sign to ask ? It flashed in my mind: "Let Her show me a red lotus." There was no reason why I asked for this special sign and I had no idea how the lotus could or should be shown to me. (Later I came to know that red lotuses are very rare at Kankhal, and that the Pujari had brought a few from Calcutta.)
As soon I had asked for this sign - perhaps in the very moment- the Pujari picked up from somewhere a red lotus (which I could not have seen as people were standing for the arati) and started waving it before Durgaji: then he put it high above his head and waved it quite a time and I could see it easily although I was behind many people standing. I thought:"This is really extrordinary; the Divine Mother has answered at once. But after all, I continued, it may be a coincidence", then I resumed my conversation with the Murti: "if I am not deluding myself, and you are really hearing me then you should actually give me a red lotus".
When the Arati was over we all went to sit down for hearing the kirtan. As soon as I sat down a young man called Deepak who was an assistant to the Pujari came near me and asked me with much kindness if he could give me some prasad. I explained to him that I did not accept anything except from Sri Ma's own hands. That this was a rule I was following since many years. But as he was for me a newcomer and I was afraid he would misunderstand me and get offended, I added (in Hindi) phool de sakte (flowers, you can give). He replied abhi donga (I will you immediately). He entered the enclosure where the puja was held and brought a red lotus. I was surprised but very happy that the Divine Mother had removed my doubt so rapidly. She not only gave me the red lotus but also granted the boon I had asked for ... But this is another story.
I kept preciously the red lotus on my puja table as it had been given to me. I believe by the Divine Mother Herself. Unfortunately it started losing its petals one by one. And towards the summer I had to put it away. In the month of May Sri Ma's Birthday celebrations were held at Kankhal. The day after the Tithi Puja (the lunar date), Shri Ma called me and gave me with her own pure hands a large amount of fruits. She frequently used to give me fruits, but very rarely flowers or garlands. But this time after having given me the fruits she said a few words to a brahmacharini who went inside and brought back a flower which Shri Ma gave me with her own holy hands. It was a red lotus!! I put it on my Puja table replacing the one which had lost it petals. It is still there, now after more than 4 years, almost the same. It had dried up but does not lose its petals.
I felt as if Shri Ma would have been telling me "You see! What the Mother of clay has given you (the flower and the boon) it transient; but what I give you will last for ever".


© Copyright 2020 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983780-The-Red-Lotus