*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984321-Swish-and-Swipe
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#984321 added May 25, 2020 at 6:38pm
Restrictions: None
Swish and Swipe
         FLY baby here. I think it's mostly attitude adjustment, but the habits are coming up slowly. If I have put in the time and have checked everything on my list, I deserve a guilt-free break. I don't have to weighted down by the unending list of things to do or the fact that they all have to be done again.

         A very close parallel is my yard. It will never be weed-free, and even if I come close in some parts of it, it will all have to be done again next week (or sooner). Should I give up and let it all go to ruin? Do I want to have the red neck yard of the week? Or do I just keep plugging away and take pride in the nicely mowed grass and the pretty flower beds? When I get too hot and tired, I brush myself off, go inside and drink a lot of liquids. I hate being wet with sweat, but I know I'm building muscles pushing the mower up all those hills.

         The house is the same way. It's never ready once and for all. Even those magazines had people running around arranging things before the photos were shot. When a house is lived in, it will continuously need cleaning. With that in mind I come to the second habit.

         The first is a shiny sink. I've been at it less than two weeks, and the sink is easier to clean and maintain. The second daily habit is the toilet. You can do it according to your work schedule, but, yes, toilets need to be cleaned daily, not just when they appear to be soiled. You can skip bathrooms that are never or hardly ever used, or at least until you focus on that area once a month.

         You don't need expensive cleaners. You do need a brush that is easy for you to use. You don't need a store bought container. The FLY lady recommends a wide vase. If it doesn't look dirty, swish with the brush anyway. If you can see any bacteria at all, use soap-leftover shampoo, bubble bath, dish detergent, cheap cleaner from the "dime" store. Bacteria is in all water. It will form a ring around the toilet. It will pile up in the drain holes in the bottom or under the rim. So you really have to push that brush in there and apply elbow grease. Hard water will also cause calcium to build up under the rim. This is why you have to swish every day, to get the bacteria and calcium out. If the bowl is soiled, you may want to apply cleanser or scouring powder.

         The inside of the bowl is not the only part that gets dirty. (They really emphasize at the hospital not to use the brush outside the bowl.) For the outside, you can use disinfectant wipes, but that's overkill if no one in the house is sick. You can use a rag or paper towel. Apply soap (I like a cheap pine scented disinfectant) Do the tank first, especially the handle. Then the lid, both sides, both sides of the seat, around the hinges and the rim top. Rinse if you like and reapply soap. Wipe down the outside to the floor all around. If you have children, young boys or old men, wipe the floor around the toilet, too. If you use a lot of soap, you will have to rinse and wipe dry. You don't want to sit on the residue.

         After the first couple of days, swish and swipe gets faster and easier. You don't have a dust or fingerprint buildup. And you'll feel great, knowing that your bathrooms are company ready. You'll want everything else to line up with your shiny sinks and sparkly toilets.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984321-Swish-and-Swipe