*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984825-Twelve-Faces
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#984825 added June 2, 2020 at 1:08am
Restrictions: None
Twelve Faces
It's late and I just woke up from passing out from drinking (I mean, come on, read the news), and I selected this at random.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/514246/are-roman-dodecahedrons-worlds-most-m...

The Mysterious Bronze Objects That Have Baffled Archaeologists for Centuries


One August day in 1987, Brian Campbell was refilling the hole left by a tree stump in his yard in Romford, East London, when his shovel struck something metal.

I don't think 1987 was centuries ago.

Campbell placed the artifact on his kitchen windowsill, where it sat for the next 10 or so years. Then, he visited the Roman fort and archaeological park in Saalburg, Germany—and there, in a glass display case, was an almost identical object.

Oh, fine, they were just opening with an anecdote.

Although dozens, and perhaps hundreds, of explanations have been offered to account for the dodecahedrons, no one is certain just what they were used for.

Someone was certain, once.

By the mid-19th century, as more were found, the objects became known to archaeologists as dodecahedrons, from the Greek for “12 faces.”

Wow. What a creative name. No one has ever called anything else a dodecahedron. Except, you know, everyone else who talks about math, Platonic solids, and geometry. But other than that, never.

So what the hell. I have a challenge for you. Come up with your own explanation for these bronze dodecahedrons and comment here. I will give a Merit Badge to whoever makes the comment that I like best. And I don't know. It might be the most plausible theory. Or it might be the one that makes me laugh the most. Or both. Give it a shot - just comment on this entry before midnight tonight and I'll send out the Merit Badge tomorrow.

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984825-Twelve-Faces