*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985563-Intuition-or-hitch
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#985563 added June 13, 2020 at 1:28am
Restrictions: None
Intuition or hitch
This morning I was reflecting on the power of intuition when a human being strongly and deeply wants to know something. It is as if the universe then cooperates in every way possible with this wish, and grants it in mysterious ways. One of the best examples is the unexpected victory in the Battle of Midway Island at the beginning of World War II. We had been attacked at Pearl Harbor and had so little left to fight with. It was a desperate moment, and we were trying to determine where the Japanese would attack next. Most thought it would be on bases in south Asia. This was the major thinking of US intelligence. But there was one intelligence officer who had what he called a "hunch" that it would be at Midway Island in the Pacific Ocean. His strong opinion was dismissed as nonsense and no one took him seriously. Refusing to back down, he knew that we had figured out the Japanese code and that whatever the next target was, they called it "AF" in their conversations which were monitored by US intelligence. So he asked "Just do this one thing for me, please, send out a false message from Midway Island that they have a water shortage, then let's see what they say to each other." So, finally they agreed, and in a radio message from Midway went the words "Midway has a water shortage . . . Midway has a water shortage." We listened. The Japanese spies then radioed "AF has a water shortage . . AF has a water shortage." We knew! So every single warship, which was not many, turned toward Midway, and the one air squadron we had in California immediately flew there. If we had been surprised, it would have easily been invaded. We moved everything we had left, which was so very little. The squadron lost every man but one, who was found floating afterwards in the ocean. But they did the job, as did the battleships. Only because it was not a surprise to us. Only because a man who cared had a "hunch", an intuitive feeling that he could not ignore. Against all odds, we should never have known, we should never have won. The impossible became possible because of one man's intuition and his trust in it. It is so interesting to read the books about it. History is not just facts, real history is always feelings too.

© Copyright 2020 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985563-Intuition-or-hitch