*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986457-Endings
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nature · #1439094
Look around. Let Nature nurture your Soul. I record images I sense and share them here.
#986457 added June 24, 2020 at 9:15pm
Restrictions: None
Endings


The day lilies were forgiving of my neglect. Weedy, ugly, forgotten except when they bloomed in a blaze of orange. They hugged the rear fence by the shallow ditch I had dug in the clay. They knew their place and stayed out of the way! Mostly ... They multiplied. And soon I separated and transplanted them to wherever nothing else would grow. Unless my sister has removed them, they'll bloom soon.

The emerald arborvitae created the semblance of a formal garden. They enclosed two small lawns and blocked the view of the neighbors. They provided a screen to the rear of the garden making more small rooms. Until the great snowstorm... 5 feet of heavy snow. They bent and broke and broke my heart. The garden languished among the brown sentinels of death.

A small snip and I took the slip home. It sent out roots but once potted did nothing. Maybe it longed for the greenhouse, its home in Kansas (did it come from Costa Rica? I no longer know). Years of scrawny blades and still nothing. We made cuttings and hoped. 17 years later it sat in a big pot in a room with bay windows... and bloomed. One could smell the night-blooming cereus from the rear staircase. It was July 9th ... a long time ago.

Jade trees sprout from leaves and form cuttings. They encourage patience and long-suffering. They survive neglect and no watering. They sit in a sunny window and on a shady sill. They flourish or not. But ... slowly, very slowly they grow and multiply. So many have found new homes! So many still need them. So many ... it's summer now ... would anyone object to a plant sitting by their door? With a note and a ribbon, perhaps?

There are all types of endings. I've been under an 800 year old ginkgo tree on temple grounds in Takayama. I've had wild tobacco grow unexpectedly from a seed I did not sow. I've mourned my elm tree for over 50 years. The dandelions of my childhood still flourish ... somewhere.

All endings must be embraced ... even those not hoped for.

For
GROUP
Blogging Circle of Friends   (E)
A group for WDC bloggers.
#1901868 by Lyn's a sly fox


What kind of ending do you prefer to read: the happy ending, the tragic ending, the change of heart ending, or the be careful what you wish for? Why? Which matrix attracts your own writing?

1.004

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986457-Endings