*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986695-On-Science-Fiction
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#986695 added June 28, 2020 at 9:39am
Restrictions: None
On Science Fiction
Prompt: from Robert Waltz ’s "The Sky Was Never the Limit
Do you think today's science fiction is tomorrow's science facts?


----

In the somewhat distant past of our world, several imagined fiction stories have become realities; on the other hand, countless other such stories have been proven to be false. Among those that came to be true, off the top of my head, I can think of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (submarines and other undersea vehicles), Space Odyssey (I-Pad and cellphones), and The Land Ironclads (tanks), plus a few more by H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, and other authors.

When I look at the ones that came true, however, I find that almost all of them had to do with our planet earth. It is easier to imagine stuff about a place or thing one somewhat has an inkling of; therefore, I am not so sure about fiction that deals with parallel universes or other galaxies or even blackholes that are not really known to us.

Then, some of that fiction may come true because the human imagination is boundless like the universe. I think, however, most of it will be only entertainment or just plain absurdity because too much of today's science fiction tends to be outlandish.

On the other hand, science fiction--because it shapes the public’s understanding--can become the most important genre if it were to concentrate on ideas that might change our lives, such as bio-technology and other technologies. After all, to the best of today's knowledge, none of us can live long enough to witness the life in other galaxies and universes.




© Copyright 2020 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986695-On-Science-Fiction