*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986708-2020-wish-for-secular-governments-and-human-rights
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#986708 added June 28, 2020 at 3:47pm
Restrictions: None
2020 wish for secular governments and human rights
2020 wish for secular governments and human rights
28.june.2020


Don't get me started...

In politics and culture:

1. Secular governments that affirm human rights.

1a. Race? We can start with the US.
1b. Religion? Again ... the US. Christians oppose a secular government, as does the GOP and political parties in Costa Rica. Iran.
1c. Sexuality? Poland and again the US.
1d. Indigenous/minority rights? China, Brasil, Australia and ... you guessed it ... the US. Balkans, Burma, Israel.
1e. Individual rights? China ... but also places like Egypt.

These intertwine. The Christian missionary gay-haters in Africa come to mind. Police brutality comes to mind.

Will it change? Not until the underlying culture changes. Americans are satisfied with a violent racist gay-hating minority-demeaning non-Christian-hating immigrant-hating government. At all levels. And that may or may not change any time soon. Many Americans are enamored with money and selfies ... in the sense of not thinking about other people. The cult of uber-individualism reigns and as long as the economy is good for them personally everyone else can go fuck themselves. They don't say it that way of course ... they just 'politely' blame the poor for being poor, immigrants for seeking jobs, ethnic groups for not anglicizing their names, non-Christians for not converting, Native peoples for not accepting White norms, Blacks for not 'knowing their place'. In other words ... politically correct hate.

What does this have to do with mental health ... if you have to ask and have no clue ...

It takes a toll to be constantly demeaned and dismissed. Support isn't there when linked to the above. Anxiety? When you can't safely leave your home or neighborhood? Being diagnosed as Black/Gay/Muslim instead of bi-polar? Being denied jobs and therefore health insurance and therefore treatment? I'm sure others can add to the list.

So ... I want to see secular governments that don't divide and polarize and demonize their populace ... not even 1% of it.

654

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986708-2020-wish-for-secular-governments-and-human-rights