*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986785-Divinity-Candies
Rated: E · Book · Food/Cooking · #2220161
A place for me to keep all my recipes
#986785 added June 29, 2020 at 4:24pm
Restrictions: None
Divinity Candies
Ingredients


2 egg whites, at room temperature
2 & ¼ cups granulated sugar
½ cup water
½ cup light corn syrup
⅛ tsp salt
½ cup chopped pecans (optional) *Almonds can be substituted if desired.
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions


Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large saucepan, heat together the sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 7-10 minutes or until the temperature reaches 260 degrees F. on a candy thermometer. Just before the candy reaches temperature, beat the egg whites on high speed using an electric mixer or stand mixer until stiff peaks form.

Remove the boiling candy from the heat and, with the mixer on high speed, stream in the hot candy VERY slowly. It should take you at least 2 or so minutes to fully pour the hot candy mixture into the egg whites. Continue beating the mixture until it's no longer glossy and it holds its shape, about 6-10 minutes (it depends on your mixer). Stir in the chopped pecans and vanilla extract until combined.

Butter two spoons (or grease them lightly with cooking spray) and, working quickly, drop rounded Tablespoonfuls of the divinity mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. You may need to scrape the candy mixture off of one spoon with the other spoon, then quickly flick your wrist to create a soft curl (like soft-serve) on top of the candy. It's okay if you don't get it quite right!

Allow the candy to set at room temperature - maybe overnight, depending on the humidity in your home - until dry to the touch and no longer sticky. Once set and dry, you can keep it at room temperature for up to 5 days in an airtight container.


**In our family, we have played with exchanging the vanilla extract for either mint or lemon extract. You can do this without changing the pure white color of the candy. So, play with different extract flavors if you're so inclined.

**Original recipe calls for NO nuts or pecans. I've also used chopped walnuts or almonds.

a gift from a friendLet the Son shine in your life.
© Copyright 2020 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (UN: wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986785-Divinity-Candies