*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989188-Chili-Hank
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#989188 added July 26, 2020 at 3:09pm
Restrictions: None
Chili Hank
July 26th Prompt: What food would you like to judge in a Cook-Off?
         
         
         Rainbow hued awnings flapped and slapped in the breeze. The sun caressed the top of Hank's exposed head as he sauntered amongst the throng of tourists. His nose twitched. Meats sizzled. Sounds of chopping and dicing echoed all around. Bubbling and burbling mixed with the whoosh of gas flames. Notes, hints of onion, peppers, tomatoes, and beans danced around him. Sniffing he detected the subtle scent of spices teasing, tantalizing. Allspice pungent and strong. Cinnamon with its surprise tang. Chili and paprika smoky and sharp. Unmistakable black pepper. Oh, could that be a new spice, a mystery tweeking his sensitive nose? Ah, how he loved the annual chili cook-off.
         Hank's stomach growled. Saliva swamped his mouth and he swallowed with difficulty. Every year, the wait proved agonizing.
         At long last the clanking and clinking signaled the chilis were ready. Long ladles scooped samples into bowls and one such offering appeared before the quivering Hank. He blinked and inhaled the fragrant steam. Suppressing a sneeze, he chowed down.
         Oh, the mini explosions in his mouth. His taste buds tingled in delight. Savoury smoke spewed from his reddened ears, or did it? Tears welled in his eyes and he smothered a gasp. Now this was chili. Without reservation, Hank licked his bowl clean.
         With a belch and a sigh, he stretched. Hank lapped a bit of his ice cold water just to be polite. As a wide, blissful grin slowly split his face, Hank cocked one leg and let loose an unapologetic fart. Yes, this indicated fantastic chili. Instant gaseous combustion. Chili reduced to its most basic form.
         With groans, gasps and epitaphs colouring the air, Hank shook himself thoroughly and meandered away from the noxious cloud / crowd. He ignored the weeping, gagging people pointing in his direction. He shrugged off their comments. "Oh my God! This is unbelievable. Shouldn't that dog be dead or something? What's in this chili? Ack, I can taste it!"

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989188-Chili-Hank