*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989678-Day-1-Way-Down-Under
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#989678 added August 1, 2020 at 5:15pm
Restrictions: None
Day 1 Way Down Under
30 Days Camping In Antarctica, Day 1:
         
         Wow, just wow! Never did I imagine I'd set foot in Antarctica much less camp there. This will be the adventure of a lifetime. Not having to roll, pack and lug a tent is wonderful. Time is wasted wrestling with a tent and in a freezing climate the howling winds would attempt to shred it anyway.
         
         The first thing I noticed is the absence of noise. There's a serene silence here. Ice and snow must muffle everything. Secondly and enthusiastically, I noticed the absence of insects. Hallelujah! Camping here at home in the summer I cannot avoid stinging, whining, vengeful bugs. How blissful not to cringe and slap.
         I understand bundling for colder temperatures, I've packed my woolen toques, mitts and scarves. I thought to wear the parka with plenty of pockets.
         I've been told, no, encouraged to snack often. Woohoo, I have an excuse to indulge in chocolate. Assured I cannot possibly gain weight, I'm going to enjoy this month long adventure to the land way, way down under.Peace and quiet plus chocolate, that's a win-win.
         Here is where I admit I've never perched in, launched or paddled a kayak. And I call myself a Canadian? Okay, I've managed to stay afloat in a canoe and a raft. I grasp the concept of balance and paddling. I do not relish an emergency release /escape into the frigid water. A few chillingly cold splashes I can endure. Do not worry, I am determined to earn the title of kayaker. I am already a certified yacker and I will put forth the effort to add the 'ka.' I presume the inflatable kayaks will be filled via a pump? I can blow with the best of them, but..
         I like bannock. It's been years since I cooked it on a fire. Imagine explorers eating it perhaps in this very spot.
         I plan to enjoy the star -studded panorama from the comfort of my bivy sack. A few of our guides point at the expansive sky and say "les etoiles." They are lovely French Canadians.Vive Quebec and its twinkling stars.
         To my fellow bloggers and explorers extraordinaire I bid a bonne nuit. My arms are tired, but I believe my eyes are more so. I rarely dared to blink and the glare from the ice, snow and water is intense. I promise not to snore.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989678-Day-1-Way-Down-Under