*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989711-Day-2-Antarctica
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#989711 added August 2, 2020 at 7:27am
Restrictions: None
Day 2 Antarctica
BCoFBCoF prompt: Let this quote inspire your entry:

“ i had a dream when I was 22 that someday i would go to the region of ice and snow and go on and on till i came to one of the poles of the earth”― Ernest Shackleton

Have you ever dreamed about seeing one of the poles? Where's your ideal dream place? This entry needs to be minimum of 100 words if you're participating in the challenge..


signature dancing owl *Wind*


Quote: “Antarctica is otherworldly, like nothing I’ve ever seen before. Stark, cold, beautiful desolation.”

Mark Hoppus https://medium.com/@StephanieHuston/11-travel-quotes-about-how-bad-ass-antarctic...

ANTARCTICA DAY 2


Please follow the above link for some awesome pictures of Antarctica, maybe with a hot cup of tea. *MugP* Even in pictures you can visualize the deep silence and cold of the terrain. There are ways to live in cold environments.

Just looking at these pictures makes me look forward to warmth. I've never dreamed of going to the lands of Ice and Wind. Years ago I was taught in a dream how to look for growing green things outside in the winter wonder land of Pennsylvania, USA. Yes, grass actually grows in sheltered places in winter where I live. Since then, I know that winter is only a season around here. It actually does not stay forever. Some years we experience longer cold than others.

Never say never. I don't believe I would actually seek out the coldest frozen places of the earth like Antarctica and the North Pole. I don't remember ever having a dream about cold lands other than the one I mentioned above. Most dreams I have would not influence my travel plans. I'm not especially fond of extreme snow and ice accompanied with extreme wind. Wind actually makes the normal temperature drop, its called wind chill factor.

I'm living where I want to stay. I have traveled to other places with different types of environmental challenges. Northern North Dakota is one. Below zero temperatures. I once had a cat that spent a night out when I lived there. One of his ears froze and eventually fell off.

I liked Panama. It was very tropical and hot. I liked the buildings of brick and stone floors to keep people cool in the hottest part of the day. Dangerous insects and snakes. A lot of rats in the city. Still the good parts outnumbered the bad.

Texas was fun also. Lots of warmth from the people and the climate. The awesome zoo in San Antonio was great. Like all tropical places snakes and insects abound.

I was born in Florida. I have not been back since about 1957. It has grown up a lot since then. Maybe too many buildings for me?

I like where I am now. Even in a bad year deep winter is usually only 4 to 6 months long. Spring and Fall are compatible with lots of time to get out of the house before summer sets in with heat and humidity. So, I juggle temperatures and life style. No matter where I would be forced to live I would try to live within the constraints of the environment. That's aging, it makes you acceptant to the whirl of life around you.

I like geography. When I travel virtually, I try to learn all about the place I am traveling to and the social aspects of living in that environment. Antarctica has a lot of social aspects as well. It is a totally different type of living and I'm enjoying learning about the culinary and living conditions. Look, it has a four different bars and a restaurant where I stopped today.


© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989711-Day-2-Antarctica