*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990008-Whos-Hogging-Covid19-Test-Kits-Hmm
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1300042
All that remains: here in my afterlife as a 'mainstream' blogger, with what little I know.
#990008 added August 5, 2020 at 4:24pm
Restrictions: None
Who's Hogging Covid19 Test Kits? Hmm?
Updated: 3:20pm

So, interesting tidbit from my wife at work today: Her hospital is out of COVID tests, "so we are treat everyone like they are positive." That doesn't tell me they are ceasing operations in Green Bay, but proceeding with caution.

Interesting note, something I've been observing. Pro sports return has reaped nearly two million tests for the rest of the year. They generally test daily and have locked down designated testing facilities. News stories report that the number of tests is a mere fraction of what constitutes total daily tests in America. Maybe, that's changed. No hard figures to report on that.

What this makes me wonder is if someone is lying. Hospitals running out of test kits while pro sports hog an insane number of test kits only tells me the numbers do lie.

Now, hopefully it's not a lack of kits but mismanagement at my wife's hospital.

I
don't
think
so

Pro sports are a billion dollar industries and there is the associated betting that goes along with it. Add in that sports will distract our country, maybe keep more people at home, it can somehow shift the focus. I think it benefits the economy, but at the risk of the safety of those in hospitals or needing tests? It stands to reason why the president is downplaying the virus and wants the country to move forward. 

Let's see where this goes from here.

Added:
It appears this hospital's employees have to go to N95 masks for all procedures (for some, the less effective PAPR, if your face doesn't fully conform [wife]). ..just like when the COVID19 concerns began. Which means, N95 shortage can be expected shortly. Would imagine and unwelcome added cost, but also wonder if hospital will go back to eliminating elective procedures.

My surgery managed to get in between the crests of this wave. I noticed my physical therapists were wearing face shields in addition to surgical masks last week, but they did not offer a reason why. It might be suspected the hospital knew of the upcoming test shortage.

I will also note, rural areas like my home Upper Michigan was finally allotted a large number of tests to get a cross section of regional residents to isolate areas affected by the virus. If rural areas throughout the country were finally getting massive testing, it could help explain a draw down in coronavirus kits. It could mean the country knew all along it had to mete out tests, following that wave into the more isolated areas last.

Hopefully, the limited tests will be temporary and unaffected by other large resources sucking down the supply demand. We can't count out major corporations and more in the public sector securing the welfare of their employees and businesses in a strategy to ride out this wave for economical fitness. Unfortunate, if the rest of the country, especially low income areas, are hardest hit. It can only be assumed.

© Copyright 2020 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990008-Whos-Hogging-Covid19-Test-Kits-Hmm