*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990023-Down-Under-With-Opal
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#990023 added August 5, 2020 at 5:22pm
Restrictions: None
Down Under With Opal
Day 5 Outback Australia:
         
         
         Oh, stretch, yawn. I survived my first night in a sleeper car. It felt kinda strange to be both rocked and jostled into slumber. Thank goodness for strong, fresh coffee. I need to be wide awake today.
         The train slid to a dusty halt in an outback post known as Manguri. This is where I disembarked, in the desert. Not much for the eyes to focus on in the distance, but a blue horizon.I checked to make sure my shoe laces were tied. This us not flip flop country.
         I ventured into an opal mining town, Coober Pedy, pronounced close to Petey. Legend had it that this Aboriginal name means white man in a hole . Many of the residents shelter from the harsh sun and extreme heat within homes created underground. They moved sand and stone to build their dug outs burrowed into sandstone hills. I noticed the air shafts dotting the ground in groupings that resembled chimneys. I also noted the sand everywhere.
         This is just the place for a klutz like me. There are mounds of sand, tufts of hard scrabble greenery, loose sand, and a plethora of unmarked holes that are most likely mine shafts. Yes, the DANGER signs are prominent, but my feet do not read or obey signs.
         I toured a few of the down under homes and they look quite comfy. Some have walls marbled with opalesque stone. These people are resilient and ingenious to forge living space in this desolate desert. I visited the underground bookstore, too.
          I found the shafts gloomy and claustrophobic. I do not relish toiling under ground.
         I sifted through loose piles of sand seeking an opal. Whoo, this is tedious work. I indulged in a purchase of some shiny opals when my search only yielded sweat and dust. This is my daughter-in-law's birthstone. Won't she be surprised to receive a fresh one.
         Did I mention the sand and the unrelenting sun? I believe my squint is becoming squintier. I worked up a thirst just staring at the dry landscape.
         Oh, I almost forgot to mention the down under lunch. This is a first for me, dining in a cool cavern. I sampled a ginger beer.
         I could barely keep my eyes open when I returned to The Ghan. What a contrast between its luxury and the desert. I indulged in a night cap only to hear everyone's version of today. Even with bleary blinkers, I enjoyed the night scape of blazing stars.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990023-Down-Under-With-Opal