*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990593-Access-Unrestricted---Proletariat-Welcome
by Ned
Rated: 13+ · Book · Entertainment · #2199980
Thoughts destined to be washed away by the tides of life.
#990593 added August 12, 2020 at 10:29am
Restrictions: None
Access Unrestricted - Proletariat Welcome
I don't know how usual it is for people to put restrictions on access to their writing, but it seems to me that I run into it quite a lot. At least, I run into it more often than I would expect. I ran into it today, in fact.

If someone were writing something they wanted to keep from too many eyes - like the chapters of a book they plan to publish - then that makes perfect sense to me. But I don't understand the concept of allowing some members to view your writing and not others. I have had this happen even when I am part of the same group as the writer with the restricted access. I cannot see how one can possibly plan to participate in activities within a group if you have blocked some members of that group from seeing what you've written.

So, you may say, perhaps if one is an acclaimed and highly placed writer, one may want the eyes of only one's peers to gaze upon one's writing. For me, that makes sense if you don't want what you would consider to be less experienced writers to send you reviews by the dozens. Of course, I have been here more than a year and I have yet to receive reviews by the dozens, even when I shamelessly promote my work across the platforms available. But if I did want to be sure to avoid that, it's an easy fix. There are settings and other thingies that you can adjust to keep people from reviewing said items, no?

And maybe if I didn't have a close family member here, I wouldn't even know that some restrictions apply only to me. But I do. And based on our relative standings here, I wonder if the level of membership has anything to do with it. Is it a question of basic, upgraded or premium? I am not a communist or anything, but that makes the lower classes feel.... well.... lower.

© Copyright 2020 Ned (UN: nordicnoir at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ned has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990593-Access-Unrestricted---Proletariat-Welcome