*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990934-Ethiopia
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#990934 added August 16, 2020 at 11:48am
Restrictions: None
Ethiopia
Our trip has been customized to meet our needs.We will not be having the down time listed in the beginning.
https://www.safaribookings.com/day/t21782
We're arriving and immediately leaving by plane to our adventure to Lalibela which is home to the 12th-century hand carved rock churches of King Lalibela (1181 - 1221) whom the town is named after. We'll have lunch in our hotel, then visit the first group churches of Lalibela (UNESCO World Heritage Site) which are found northeast of a stream named ‘River Jordan’.
In a 1970 report of the historic dwellings of Lalibela, Sandro Angelini evaluated the vernacular earthen architecture on the Lalibela World Heritage Site, including the characteristics of the traditional earth houses and analysis of their state of conservation.
://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g480193-d7619296-Reviews-Tomb_of_A...
Our meals are included but no alcoholic beverages so we're doing a brew tour.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g480193-d12133587-Reviews-Lalibela...


signature dancing owl *Boat2*


I found the tour of the churches interesting. In a way it is something that I view from a distance mentally, because when ever I see buildings like this I wonder how they came into being so many years ago. Were the people who built them willing participants in carving out the rooms? I toured the church in the sky. I'm not sure if I could take the crawl up the side of the mountain just to attend a service there. The inside was so artistic and beautiful.

I watched a CNN documentary on PBS about the religion of the people of Ethiopia about 2 years ago. It specifically focused on their kind of Christian worship. In the Tigray region which is very close to Lolibela there are also stone churches.

Du to a story about Queen Sheba and a son born to her and King Solomon. The story says the Ark of the Covenant is in the caring hands of the people of Ethiopia. I have found two different versions of how this came to be.

As for the alcoholic brew tour, I find it also relevant to the study of the area. All societies over the years have been brewing types of alcoholic beverages. Maybe I'll study the historic ideas about this some time since, it is always something we wonder about. Home brewed wines and beers have been medicinal as well as sometimes the drink served with meals. Problems only arise when the drinks are used in a glutinous manner. Even though we are inclined to make fun of the results of to much of these beverages.

I'm off subject somewhat today so my details are scanty. Just need to spend some time resting in the hotel.


© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990934-Ethiopia