*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991155-Nightlife-in-the-wild
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#991155 added August 19, 2020 at 10:44am
Restrictions: None
Nightlife in the wild?
Leribe to Semonkong
After breakfast we backtrack slightly to visit a riverbed close to our accommodation to view evidence of prehistoric life forms. If the river is in flood these ancient footprints are hidden but usually the water levels are low enough o look at the Dinosaur Footprints. We leave the main road to Maseru and travel to the Kome Caves, home to modern cave-dwellers. These caves were originally inhabited by clans escaping the Lifqane wars and cannabilism. We make our way to Thaba Bosiu along the back roads which go through many rural villages. Thaba Bosiu is a cultural centre of utmost importance to Lesotho and its history, We then drive into the capital city Maseru for lunch. This gives one a good understanding of modern-day city life in Lesotho. Mid afternoon we head back into the highlands of Lesotho going through the Mantsa Pass to the highland town of Semonkong. Dependant on weather and water levels, enjoy a lovely sunset over the Maletsunayne falls before checking into Semonkon
g.

oh no, our vehicle broke down and we're going to spend the night in the wild.

https://www.blackpast.org/global-african-history/places-global-african-history/m...

discuss what you discover in the information and in the pictures. If you lived back then how would you handle cannibalism? Join in or become a vegetarian How did you cope with the breakdown and having to rough it over night.


Red Dragon *AlienG*


http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/megatheropod-dinosaur-footprints-lesotho-05...

Kome Caves is still inhabited by a generation of the people who built them. The Ha-Kome family was fleeing from a cannibalistic society. I would prefer to eat vegetables. No I would not join cannibals. I don't even like the stories or movies of people who are stranded and turn to cannibalism to survive.

When we rented our vehicle we were given some advice. Always lock our car. Vandals and petty thieves are at large. It is knowledgeable information for world travelers that many societies feel a little more important, when a tourist comes around so be cautious and friendly. We were also given a number to call if a breakdown were to occur. So, for us it was a surprise and dismay when the car radiator was punctured by a flying stone and we needed to wait for the rescue to occur. We were on a rural highway. There were farms spaced along the road at intervals. When the car started steaming we slowed to a stop. Everyone got out to push it off the road onto the side. The phone number we were given just wouldn't ring. Maybe out of range. As we were counting snacks and looking at the map, night was falling. We were near the conical mountain, area. We could see Mt. Qiloane in the distance. A man came walking along the roadway. He indicated we should not sit along the road. WakeUpAndLive shook his hand and motioned him to the front of the car. The man looked the radiator all over and shook his head, "ah, ah." he said, over and over than he waved and walked away into the night, he left the road and headed inland up a bit of rising land. I could see there was a foot path there.

About a half hour later a young man came down the path with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. He motioned to us to help him hook up a chain. Then, we all got back in and he pulled our vehicle up the trail about half a mile there was a farm there. He showed us they had WIFI to use. So, we called and left a message. The number we called talked to the young man who actually explained in some English words that they would come to fix the car in the morning. There was a whole family of people. The mother showed us to sit down in a very comfortable living area and served us with tea. The father who turned out to be the man we had seen on foot nodded a lot with a big smile and said, Aha, a lot. There were three other children all were in late teens and could speak some English.So, we were able to talk about our travels and they told us about their school and farm. Blue moon and Sandra Lynn went out to sleep in the car. The rest of us bedded down with sleeping bags provided by the family on the floor of the family room. In the morning we wandered around. I noticed some wild animal tracks around the car. Maybe hyena but the girls who spent the night in the car were oblivious. About 11 a.m. a tow truck arrived and a different car was also brought. We switched our belongings into the new vehicle, and the tow truck latched onto our and off they went. Everyone was sorry to leave because the hospitality had been so special. The father clapped his hands when he saw the tow truck. We took their email address with us waving and goodbyes all around everyone was promising to keep in touch. We were very grateful for their hospitality.

Our trip continued on the Maseru city. The capital of Lesotho. It is on the left bank of Caledon River. Fifteen miles south of Maseru is the national university. The city also has agricultural and technical schools. There is a railroad link to South Africa and air service to Johannesburg. The roads into the city go out to many different parts of the country.

Many of the buildings have conical roofs similar to what we saw at the Bird Haven Lodge. I bought a cone shaped hat to wear and keep as a souvenir.

This was a day to remember.

Merit Badge in Travel
[Click For More Info]

Thanks for being such a marvelous travelling companion.


© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991155-Nightlife-in-the-wild