*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991593-For-the-Rest-of-It
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#991593 added August 26, 2020 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
For the Rest of It
You might have thought yesterday's article about quantum physics put you to sleep. Well, wait'll you see today's...

https://www.domino.com/content/benefits-of-napping/

What Happens to Your Body When You Take Naps Every Single Day?


It sleeps. Duhhh.

As often as we talk about the benefits of sleep, more than a third of Americans are not getting the proper amount of shut-eye.

That's because they're working three jobs just to live.

If the thought of adding one more thing to your already busy schedule is making you stress out, you can consider naps as a natural way to recharge for the day.

Maybe during your commute?

"Like meditation, it can be [used] as a quiet time in the middle of a chaotic day."

What a coincidence! Every time I've tried to meditate I've fallen asleep.

However, taking a midday nap doesn’t mean you can sleep the day away.

Do people actually do this? I'm retired and don't have a set schedule most days, and I still can't sleep more than 9 hours, max. Usually 7-8. In two shifts.

While you may want to sneak a small nap into your day, you might have a hard time getting a little shut-eye if it’s not something your body is used to doing.

My body was used to me fighting to stay awake through a slump every day between 4-5 pm or so, and then being forced to wake up before 8 am. It never worked well for me, as much as I tried to conform.

Basically, adding a nap into your daily routine will give your body a major health boost. After six months, the long-term benefits of napping kick in. Breese notes one study on Greek adults that found a short nap during the day reduces the risks of dying from heart disease and regularly getting more rest may increase your sex drive.

Well, that's useless to me.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me why they people call it "beauty sleep?" This has never made sense to me. I get the feeling it's used sarcastically, or perhaps apologetically. "Oh, just like every other human being on the planet, I need to sleep, but admitting that might make me seem weak, so I have to pretend there's a purpose to it." Or something like that. Like I said, I never understood it, and it's a phrase that's been around since at least my childhood.

Well, I'll sleep later. First, drinking. Which doesn't actually help one sleep, but it's worth it for its own sake.

© Copyright 2020 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/991593-For-the-Rest-of-It