*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992990-Escape
Rated: 18+ · Book · Music · #2231553
Fictitious and delicious!
#992990 added September 10, 2020 at 8:48pm
Restrictions: None
Escape

"Escape" by Enrique Iglesias, originally released 2002

Boy, it is nice to find an area on Lake Superior where there isn't a gigantic crowd. As Darren and I approach Iona's Beach, we find no one else in the area. The high winds generating whitecaps on Lake Superior are helping keep other germ vectors, I mean, visitors away. Walking along, I curse my lack of hair tie. It has been a while since I have had hair this long, so keeping a hair tie with me is still a newish concept to me. At least my mask is providing a little face protection.

We reach the beach and find no one else wandering around. This prompts Darren to lower his mask before setting foot on the mauve stones. By stones, I mean rocks the size of Russet potatoes. As we walk, I realize my counselor is right. The polished stones damn near sing with each step. Their timbre reminds me of wooden wind chimes. Darren looks at me, and I nod my head a bit east. He nods in acknowledgement before we set off to walk along the beach.

When I say walk, it's more of a walking/climbing hybrid. These potato sized stones are much larger than the skippable stones in abundance on Duluth's shores, and maintaining footing takes way more concentration than usual. The wind adds an extra degree of difficulty, and my tiny legs struggle to keep up with Darren's super sized strides even on flat surfaces. On top of all the challenges to walking, there is the fact that I stop to take photos every 30 seconds or so. Since no one can take anything from this reserve, there's an immaculate sense of wilderness here that is captivating beyond measure. Even the fallen birch that will one day become flotsam seizes my photographic attention. After a bit, Darren does stop walking so I have an opportunity to catch.

After a while, we both tire of and are tired by the wind. We wind our way back to the parking lot, detouring to investigate some more sheltered pathways by a rocky outcropping that extends into the lake. The wind dies down as we reach the car. Once inside, Darren tugs off his mask and places one of the loops around the gear shift.

"That was quite a workout," he huffs.

I nod as I unhook my mask. "It was. Wonder how Tettegouche will be."

"For all we know, the temperature will climb 15 degrees, and it'll be sunny."

"Ah, Minnesota weather."

"You love it."

"Well, yeah. I mean, it's a few steps up from a hurricane, and if I hadn't adapted to it by now I'd have left."

Darren smirks. "That's true. THen again, you've met quite a few people up here."

"Yourself included."

"Aw, shucks."

"I wonder if my dating life would have been more active if I'd grown up here. Who knows?"

"Possibly. I'm sure Mitch and Company would have enjoyed it."

I laugh at that. "Oh, for real. And maybe Marlee would have tried to pursue a more serious relationship with you in high school."

"Maybe."

"But here we are together. It's been nearly 16 years, and even with all the distractions we've weathered it out. And I don't really say it, but thank Christ we've weathered it out."

"Awww."

"Don't tell anyone I'm being mushy now."

"Your secret's safe with me."

At that, I push the ignition button to start the car. Darren still have lots to explore together.

© Copyright 2020 Elisa the Bunny Stik (UN: soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elisa the Bunny Stik has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/992990-Escape