*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3526266
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:07am
Plot: Rising Action - How Does Your Story Get To The Climax?
Happy Tuesday!

Hi everyone. It’s 💙 Carly again with another thrilling instalment from the Prep Calendar.

Oct. 11: - "Plot: Rising Action (How does the story get to the climax?)" â–Ľ
Review your notes from the ""Premise"" and ""Beginning"" plot exercises, and tweak the conflict(s) and inciting incident as needed before proceeding with the ""Rising Action"" plot exercise, as follows:

(1) Describe any initial refusals on the part of your protagonist(s) to face the conflict.
(2) Describe the moment when your protagonist(s) makes the choice to face the conflict.
(3) Describe the moment when your protagonist(s) crosses the point of no return and cannot change their mind.
(4) Fill in some of the blanks: How will your characters get from the point of no return to the climax?

Can you believe we are already up to October 11, 2022.

I hope your prepping is going well. Don’t feel you have to do it in order. Just make sure you log something before the 72 hour cut-off happens. Check the Log Book to see where you stand. I usually write the last log in time down so I don’t go over.

Today we are now planning the rising action.

Once your protagonist meets with that inciting incident, they often face a moment of wanting to refuse the call. They may not feel like they are up for the job or they may just be too scared to move forward and take on the challenge. Consider how they may face that situation.

Eventually, they have to make the choice to accept the challenge they face. They have to say YES or there is no story. That yes may be done eagerly or grudgingly, but however the choice is made, it must be made by THEM. Someone else can't do it for them.

Once your protagonist has made the decision to face that conflict, they must pass that point of no return. There is no way they can change their mind. How does your character reach this point? What keeps them from returning to their old life?

What kind of trials will your character face as they move forward? Some they will win, some they will lose, but each will move them towards what they ultimately want. Have you considered what it is they really want? It can be as huge as saving the world, or as internal as wanting to belong. What they want at the beginning may not even be what they need as the story moves forward. As they move forward, this will become clearer to them (and to you).

I found a video that might help you build your conflict: The conflict Triangle.

Happy prepping! Remember, I am available to answer any story questions you may have.

Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!

My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Plot: Rising Action - How Does Your Story Get To The Climax? · 10-11-22 12:07am
by đź’™ Carly
Re: Plot: Rising Action - How Does Your Story Get To The ... · 10-11-22 7:35am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: Plot: Rising Action - How Does Your Story Get To The ... · 10-11-22 9:19am
by Storm Machine
Re: Plot: Rising Action - How Does Your Story Get To The ... · 10-11-22 10:34am
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3526266