*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3529108
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 26, 2022 at 3:13pm
Literary Devices....
Hi preppers. It has been a crazy week for me. In the process, I forgot to post my instalment as a writing coach. So here it is.

If you are anything like me, you might be running behind or doing your assignments out of order. That is perfectly fine… so long as you get them all done before the end of the night on October 31. And remember to log them.

Tuesday’s assignment was about plot and using literary devices. The assignment lists a bunch of literary devices that you can use to add conflict or complications for your characters in your story.

Oct. 25: - "Plot: Literary Devices" â–Ľ
(1) Brainstorm possible solutions to your conflict and complications using the list of literary devices below or your own ideas.
(2) Identify a mentor or helper who aids the protagonist(s) in achieving their goals.
(3) Identify any other literary devices from the list you could use to enhance your writing.

Literary Devices List
Foreshadowing: Hints of something to come.
Chekhov's Gun: The gun on the wall in Scene 1 is eventually fired.
Repetitive Designation: An object or fact appears over and over.
Symbolism: Small facts, objects, or characterizations represent something bigger.
Self-fulfilling prophecy: Protagonist attempts to thwart prophecy but in attempting, fulfills it.
Poetic Justice: Good guys are rewarded and bad guys are punished.
Plot Twist: Surprises the reader with something unexpected.
False Protagonist: The protagonist dies or turns out to be something other than the protagonist.
Red Herring: A false trail diverts the reader's attention from what really happened.
Unreliable Narrator: The narrator has been misleading the reader all along.
Irony: The exact opposite of what the reader expects happens.
Reveal: A hidden connection between characters or facts is revealed in time.
Plot Device: Advances the plot forward, often pushing the main character past a hurdle.
Object of Power: Either the protagonist wants it, or the object drives the plot of its own accord.
MacGuffin: Something the protagonist wants for unknown and unimportant reasons.
Quibble: Following the letter of the law, contract, or agreement instead of its intent, changing the outcome.
Narrative Hook: Story opening that grab's the reader's attention.
Cliffhanger: Ending a scene, chapter or story in the middle of action, hooking the reader.
Ticking Clock Scenario: The threat of impending doom if the protagonist's objective is not met.
Breaking the Fourth Wall: A character speaks directly to the reader.
Or anything from this list: http://literary-devices.com/

A couple of videos that may help with this:

Foreshadowing:

Chekov’s Gun:

26 Literary Devices To Make Your Writing Pop

Hope these help. Happy prepping.

Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!

My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Literary Devices.... · 10-26-22 3:13pm
by đź’™ Carly
Re: Literary Devices.... · 10-26-22 6:10pm
by QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham
Re: Re: Literary Devices.... · 10-27-22 11:00am
by Brandiwyn🎶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Brandiwyn🎶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/action/view/message_id/3529108