SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1026023-The-axes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Suri
Rated: · Message Forum · Sci-fi · #1026023
The end of science.
The axes

It seemed as if the dates were fast forwarded to the year 2150 AD. No new inventions, no new discoveries. The newspapers were marred with stories of yester years. The technology age they said. Dr. Thorton’s thesis was the last scientific work after which the scientific community died away rather abruptly. His work was about the saturation of inventions and discoveries and according to him, the saturation was reached and there will be no more scientific discoveries or inventions. He was right.

On December 25th, Mr. Gupta was giving away cigars and sweets in the hospital, he had a baby boy. He was full of joy. Mr. and Mrs. Gupta had decided to name their boy Rama. Mr. Gupta was very happy and he decided to celebrate the day with a banquet to the whole neighborhood. He was well respected but a poor man. However, his joy was short lived. The doctors, who had delivered his baby kid, broke the news to him that Rama was to be operated upon immediately. There was a problem in Rama’s skull, it was not fully formed. This was a shock to him as it would cost a lot of money and all his life’s saving would be spent in that one operation. However, Rama was his first son and he decided to go with the operation. It was decided that baby Rama’s brain would be covered and his skull would be supported by a special titanium alloy. The operation went on for 3 hours straight but Rama came smiling out of it. Rama was a special kid; he was born with a singular disorder and a unique skull.

Dr. Thorton was old now. It was 30 years since he had delivered his last exposition on the Law of Thorton. He was called a genius before he proposed this law. And after the law was established, science was dead. Each day he would wake up and sleep in the same bed, have the same dream, eat and drink the same food and wine which was delivered to him by the same official every day for 30 years.

Rama went to school where history was taught to him, which unlike all other kids he disliked. He liked science and math. So, he was put in the class of Past inventions and discoveries. He was intrigued but was unsatisfied with the course. He wanted something more and so he started reading and learning on his own. Obviously, he was a very bright boy and Mr. Gupta was very proud of him. Rama was taught that Thorton was the only living genius on earth. As he read more about the great man, Rama was fascinated by his inventions and it became his dream to one day meet him. But they lived on the opposite faces of earth. This did not deter Rama, he worked hard, in foundries and mines. He earned and stored away the money with which one day he would travel across the globe and meet Thorton. He had the money, now all he needed was to increase his knowledge base so that he could talk with Thorton. For 5 years Rama studied Astronomy and majored in it. During the course of his getting a bachelors degree, he made a startling discovery. He realized that there was a potential that there could be another earth in the universe and that we might not be alone in this universe. He wrote down his idea on paper, very laboriously and systematically. He did all the mathematical calculations and was confident that he had struck on a major idea; it would be the best work after Thorton’s Law. Infact it will break the Thorton’s Law. He was excited about it. He made all the preparations and bade his father goodbye. He was ready to meet Dr. Thorton and prove him wrong and his Law.

Thorton as always was watching television when he heard a knock on his door. It was the first time in 30 years that someone had knocked on his door in the morning. It was not the time for the official to deliver the food and general supplies to him. He looked at the door and mechanically went to open it. Rama was standing on his doorsteps, proud and beaming. Thorton could feel sweat coming down his cheek on the winter morning. He was blank and could not decide what to do, as if he could not believe that there was a live human being on his doorsteps. Finally, he decided to let Rama inside. They sat down. But Thorton was in a shock, he would not utter a single word. He was perspiring, as if he was afraid of Rama. Rama feeling awkward started talking himself. Rama told him about the hard life that he had lived and how he had accumulated money bit by bit to meet him. Thorton seemed disinterested. So, Rama started telling him about his theory which he believed would break Thorton’s Law and will rejuvenate the scientific community. He said, “Let us consider a four dimension space, where X, Y, Z represent space axes and T represent time axis. Now, in this space, if earth is at a point P, and if we join this point P to the origin of the Big Bang and then extend it to the same distance as P on the other side, we would get a point P’ where the probability of life will be 98%.” He showed Thorton all the mathematical calculations and waited for his response. Thorton took time to read Rama’s report, but he read all the 20 pages of it. He took a while. Rama was happy that his work was given so much appreciation. However, Thorton still did not speak a word.
Finally Thorton kept the paper down and stared at Rama. The response from Thorton was not what Rama was expecting. He jumped on Rama and started squeeze the life out of him. Thorton seemed to have tremendous strength considering his old age. However, Rama somehow freed himself from his grasp and tried to calm Thorton down. But Thorton kept coming at him, Rama had to punch him and then the old man passed out. Rama was perplexed at what had happened and didn’t know what to do. He stood there staring at the old man, wondering what to do next. Then suddenly the floor of the house started shaking and before he knew what was happening, he fell down through the floor into the basement. It was dark in there and he could not see a thing. It was surprisingly chilly in the room. Rama suddenly had a jolt of pain in his head. He could not move his hands or legs. He felt paralyzed. He could not understand the bizarre events happening around him, when suddenly he found a shape flying towards him. It was glowing in the room. It just looked like a light bulb to Rama, but it was floating in the air and Rama was confused at what he was seeing. This thing defied all the laws of gravity that he had studied all by himself. Suddenly there was a voice in his brain that said, “I know you are scared. Don’t be. I am not what I look like to you. You see what I make you see. You hear what I make you hear. I didn’t know there were specimens on this planet which had metal implanted in their brain. I could not control you before, but now I can. Thank you for revealing your kind to me. I will be more careful in future. Thank you and good bye.”

Rama woke up. He was lying in his bed. He was not wondering anymore. He just got up and went to the bathroom.

End.

0 Posts · *Magnify*
This forum is currently EMPTY!

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1026023-The-axes