*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1501305-Philosophers-Nook-Training-Ground
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Message Forum · Philosophy · #1501305
A practice ground for the Philospher's Nook forum in the Windows of the Soul Group.
Welcome to a trial run of the Philosopher's Nook.  You may contribute but we will be moving this to the Windows of the Soul Forum soon after we work out the kinks.  Feel free to suggest, check it out, and tell us what could do to make it better and also, hopefully. what works. Below, you will find a poem, a review that brings up interesting philosophical questions, and some questions to discuss.  This is still under construction so I'm afraid it isn't yet decked out in ML and sigs.  Bear with me.  I will be the guinea pig for this first experiment. 

THE POEM

Where’s the poetry?

Where’s the poetry?
It was just here a few days ago
spilling from my pen.
I was writing about water
and our journey toward wisdom.
and like a river, the words flowed freely.
Then, I watched the news. 
Now I can’t find the poetry.

Things happened in a city across the world,
a place I’d never been but I had things to say.
I tried writing about the fear, the terror,
the cowardice of men who take lives with them
on their way to the hereafter they were promised.
I tried writing about the frustration I felt
when grown children fight each other
for control of the proverbial sandbox we call Earth.

But as I wrote, a funny thing happened.
The ink clogged up and my words ran dry.
I was not put on this earth to add to its sorrow.
Thoughts of angry men strangle my muse
and muses can be fickle if forced. 
So, I made a deal and she drove a hard bargain.
She’d return the poetry on one condition,

that I use my words to inspire
and share wisdom to help us become whole again.
There’s already far too much despair in this world
for me to add one more drop, one more word.
I fear it will break the dam
and we all will drown in sadness. 
So I agreed with her terms.

It was then I saw
the wispy tendrils of light
stretching from somber clouds. 
The sunrays bathed a little patch of lake.
I saw the reflections of tiny ripples and it knew,
with a little faith in the power of words,
poetry can still make us whole.

THE LINK:

Where's the Poetry?  (E)
Poetry lost and found. A muse's bargain.
#1501203 by SWPoet

THE REVIEW: (from a reviewer that will remain anonymous for this discussion)

I admire your positiv-ness, believing you can bribe 'MUSE with promises to do & be' good. My personal muse is all about declaritive realism and digging out the ugly flaws and finding beauty.We may be both wrong / or both right, How would one recognize the 'Light if darkness did not exist.  My only concern, is if we deny atrocities exist, our sand grabbing illusions, will hide the 'perps so that 'they can continue their evil deeds.

(Disclaimer: this exercise is not to bash the reviewer or necessarily to do a review on the poem itself, although you are welcome to do that by clicking the item link above and leaving a review and rating there.)  Here, we are just discussing the topic or philosophical questions brought out by the poem or the review.)

THE QUESTIONS:

Some questions to ponder about the poem and the review:

1. If you believe there is tremendous power in the written word, what is the obligation of those  who write?  What do you feel is your obligation? (For example, to inspire, to make people understand, to put a problem in the spotlight for others to notice and work on, to teach, to comfort or console, to honor, etc. )

2. The reviewer asked, “How would one recognize the “light if darkness did not exist”?  Do you feel you (or poets in general) should present the dark side so that you can highlight the light (or  vice versa)?

3. Do you feel that writing positive pieces denies that “the atrocities exist” and that doing
so will “hide the perps so they can continue to do their evil deeds?” or do you feel like we
should only bring up problems if we are also willing to offer a solution or a way in which we as a society can improve the situation?

(These are two far reaching questions that affect businesses, families and societies.) 
-          “Don’t complain unless you have a suggestion to make it better “
-           AND
-           If we ignore the bad or unlawful behavior, will it deprive the person of attention
                and make things better or will it give the person the permission to continue acting
                badly if the parent/boss/government doesn’t make a big deal over a negative 
                behavior. 

4. See if you can think of a middle ground (if there is one) here where poets can speak their mind but balance the positive and negative.

5. Are there questions you have that we should discuss other than the above four? 

IF YOU RATE THIS EXERCISE, PLEASE PASTE THE FOLLOWING THREE QUESTIONS AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC EXAMPLE AND WHAT ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ON THIS FORUM. 

1. Did this exercise help you figure out your own writer's philosophy?

2. Do you have any other suggestions to make this a great place to pontificate
(ie. contemplate your navel)?

3. Would you be willing to submit something to be discussed?  Do you feel comfortable putting a review (anonymous unless permission given) along with a poem and questions to discuss?

If you would like to have one of your poems/reviews/questions discussed, email me (SWPoet) the actual poem, review, 1-5 questions and a link to the poem so others can rate it directly if they wish. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION
SWPoet
0 Posts · *Magnify*
This forum is currently EMPTY!

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1501305-Philosophers-Nook-Training-Ground