*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1657980-Entry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Claude
Rated: E · Message Forum · Contest Entry · #1657980
This is a contest piece for 1001 Words, "Who Was Your Childhood Inspiration".
My childhood inspiration was my grandmama, Mazie. She was the epitome of grandmothers. My grandmama was always there for me. She taught me a lot about what family is supposed to be, God, His unconditional love and what a true Christian is.

Whenever someone in our community became ill or had a death in the family she was right by their side and I was right by her side. We cleaned their homes, cooked for them, did their laundry, sat by their bedside, talked to them about getting saved if they weren't already saved, held their hand, consoled their family members, whatever they needed mentally, physically or emotionally we were there for them. Grandmama taught me to care about others and what it really means to stand by someone and be there for someone in their time of need.

Grandmama Mazie was also fierce and fiery if you crossed her. I saw her stand on a foot stool so that she could reach the cheek of my granddaddy who towered over her and give him a good slap for coming home drunk. I saw her pop my dad's cheek and put the fear of God and her in him for physically abusing me. I even saw her chase my brother down and hit him over the head with the back of a hoe for shoving me down and breaking my collar bone. She was my guardian angel in every sense of the word. Grandmama taught me right from wrong and to stand up for myself and what I believe in.

Grandmama Mazie was also a great cook. When I got off the school bus she would have fried fat back and collard greens or strawberry shortcake made with fresh strawberries. Sometimes when time was short she would bake a pan of homemade biscuits to eat with butter and jelly. She always had plenty of iced tea. Grandmama taught me to be a good cook and to love cooking for my family.

When I was in highschool and had some health problems she would be right there to pick me up. She took care of me when I was sick and made sure I knew God loved me and could and would heal me. She helped me to have the faith of a saint and the courage of a guardian angel. She taught me what unconditional Godly love is and what it means to be good. She taught me to not only pray to God but to believe in God like you believe the sun will rise and set.

Grandmama never had many material things. She picked up trash on Figure Eight Island, NC to earn the money to buy the land that we have all lived on for nearly forty years. She loved to fish and garden fresh vegetables that she would put up and freeze for later use. She was simple and strong.

My grandmama is in a convalescent center now. She doesn't always know who I am. But I have found that if I smell of her when I kiss her on the cheek she will soon after recognize me if only for a few seconds. Grandmama always smelled me when she kissed me.

About 525 words

0 Posts · *Magnify*
This forum is currently EMPTY!

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/item_id/1657980-Entry