*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1025137
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Community · #939896
Have something that just makes you mad? Well, here's the place to complain about it!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 23, 2005 at 1:08pm
Gossiping co-workers!
If you didn't already guess from my "yogurt" post, I work in an office. The office dynamic takes some time to get used to. The thing I dislike most about working in an office is the gossip that goes on. I try my hardest not to gossip about people. Ever. It's just rude.

Here's a bit of background: I worked as a temp here at the University from April 2004 to November 2004. First I worked in the Dean's office (College of Science & Technology) for six months, then I worked in the Office of Technology for 2 months. I currently work in the Department of Marketing (College of Business). Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was also a student here for 4.5 years before I came to work here. So I know a bunch of people here.

The job that I have now is a permanent position, which makes me really happy because of health insurance, job security, retirement plan, etc. Well, recently my old job (in the Office of Technology) became available again. And it was reclassified to a higher level. Now, I really enjoyed my time there, but I'm very happy where I am now. Suddenly, people kept calling/dropping by to ask if I'm going to apply for the job. I told everyone that I'm not interested in the job, because I'm happy where I am now. They didn't seem to understand (I guess they didn't think I would pass up a higher salary?), but that's the truth.

Well, today this really nice woman (who is a temp in our office) came up to me and said, "Hey, I heard that you might be leaving us. That's sad that you're not happy here." What??!! We talked for a bit, and I explained to her that I'm not going anywhere, and I'm happy at my job. She said that some people told her that I was applying for the other job. She also implied that she heard I was having problems getting along with people at this job. Part of me would really like to know who was talking about me, but I did't ask. It's so silly! I don't understand why people would say that, when it's not true.

Oh well, I suppose it could be worse. At least they aren't spreading around awful personal rumors or anything. I know some things about some people on campus that I would never want to repeat to someone else. But I would never say anything, because I don't want to hurt anyone. If you never worked in an office, you would be shocked at how much people talk! And if you have worked in an office, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about..
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Gossiping co-workers! · 02-23-05 1:08pm
by poisonivy

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, poisonivy.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1025137