*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1042381
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Opinion · #595449
Write songs much?Feel free to discuss it here(plus R&R as always).
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 24, 2005 at 12:18am
Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing
Fir me, it's a little of both. I have a lick in my head that will prompt lyrics, but in most cases, the nuts and bolts of the music would have to be written after the lyrics due to my poor knowledge of music writing*Frown* To me, either way can work very well, but it all depends on the style the writer wants to take and how lucky he/she feels to take the gamble.

Of course, I always have felt that writing the music first is way more constrictive and doesn't allow for "free music", as Percy Grainger would've termed it. Basically, I feel that the lyrics are what come first, so let them flow however is best. Then, write the music to complement but never overpower the lyrics. The way I see it, if you want to focus on the music, do an instrumental. Those are so rare anymore*Smile*

My name in Stiks!
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

A glimpse of how I feel.

** Image ID #855771 Unavailable **

Merit Badge in Generosity
[Click For More Info]

This is a thank you for all the people your generosity has helped in scroll. Merit Badge in Poetry
[Click For More Info]

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to evaluating poetry, but I know that Elisa's flows straight from her heart to her fingers, holding back little to nothing.  She constantly explores new forms, seeking out different modes to express her many passionate feelings.  You deserve this honor many times over, Elisa. Merit Badge in Philosophy
[Click For More Info]

For your interesting short stories, which always make me think.

** Image ID #951924 Unavailable ** :Davy Kraken
MESSAGE THREAD
Your thoughts on lyric writing · 03-23-05 1:58pm
by Philthy
*Star* Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 03-24-05 12:18am
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 04-09-05 10:26pm
by Starr
Re: Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 04-10-05 12:12am
by Philthy
Re: Re: Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 04-23-05 8:53pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 07-15-05 2:48pm
by Niteowl
Re: Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 07-16-05 1:33am
by Philthy
Re: Your thoughts on lyric writing · 05-30-07 1:58pm
by the1stephzen

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1042381