*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1103532
Rated: E · Message Forum · Health · #875895
Add any old time folk remedies that you know or have used.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 20, 2005 at 9:50pm
Re: Ground Flaxseed
Ground flaxseed is about the only healthy thing my family and I do, I'm sad to say. A very health concious friend of mine recommended it. Along with cholestorol, it also contains Omega 3 and Omega 6, which your body NEEDS but does not produce, and is usally taken with fish oil. It also helps with constipation, I've heard. Every time my husband eats it, it cleans him out; I haven't noticed that effect on myself or the kids.

Now, we don't take the flax seed straight. I tend to throw it into whatever I am cooking. I don't have any problems with the taste, and the kids don't notice it (and usually not dh, either). I add it to sauces (spaghetti, lasagna, etc), to bread when I use my bread machine, pizza dough from the bread machine (but you could easily mix it with that sauce), oatmeal or other hot breakfasts, soups, pretty much anything. We don't get as much of the benefits as taking it straight and consistantly, but with three kids and a picky husband (and being a bit picky myself), I figure it's better than nothing.

I researched it a little more in depth when I was querying for an article, and learned a couple other things, though sources differ in opinion:
*Bullet* It's supposed to be good for when you are pregnant (especially during the time the baby brain is forming) and nursing; that's the Omegas kicking in. HOWEVER, research has shown mice getting estrogen-related cancer, so some experts say DON'T take it. So that's your warning. Personally, I think those poor lab mice are doomed to die of cancer anyway...
*Bullet* I've heard, too, that it is good for menopause because of the estrogen it contains (that's
the mice issue); helps balance you out
*Bullet* And I vaguely remember it helping with diabetes in some form, because I recommended it to my diabetic MIL.

So, that's what I learned. Hope it helps!
SG

Merit Badge in Reviewing
[Click For More Info]

Ranked # 1   Public Reviewer  for the month of  December 2004 . For more details, please see  [Link To Item #614925] . Merit Badge in Success
[Click For More Info]

For being the Number One Reviewer at the end of the EnduReview II contest in December of 2004! Congratulations. Merit Badge in Attention to Detail
[Click For More Info]

From  [Link To Item #861549]   Job well done!!!  Keep up the good work!!! Merit Badge in Editing
[Click For More Info]

For the best review I've ever received!

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#924353 by Not Available.

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#812129 by Not Available.
MESSAGE THREAD
Ground Flaxseed · 12-07-04 5:29am
by catwoman
Re: Ground Flaxseed · 01-17-05 5:36am
by FG - The Power of the Circle
Re: Re: Ground Flaxseed · 01-17-05 6:03pm
by catwoman
Re: Re: Re: Ground Flaxseed · 01-17-05 7:28pm
by FG - The Power of the Circle
*Star* Re: Ground Flaxseed · 07-20-05 9:50pm
by Scottiegazelle
Re: Re: Ground Flaxseed · 09-01-05 10:49am
by waterbaby
Re: Re: Re: Ground Flaxseed · 09-01-05 11:21am
by catwoman
Re: Re: Re: Ground Flaxseed · 10-06-05 1:40pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, catwoman.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1103532