SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1175716
Rated: E · Message Forum · Educational · #981789
work in progress- writing assignments & links for use in the home school
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 29, 2005 at 4:33pm
seasonal writing ideas

My older kids are still working on their short(?) stories, in the typing stage at this point, & soon will post them in their portfolios. In the meantime, my younger two finished their little poetry project & needed something else for writing. I've used the following assignments as filler, though they are great ideas for any age at this time of year!

Day 1-2: Make a Christmas list of people you want to make presents for (our family always makes hand-made gifts, a necessity given our finances!). Research craft ideas on-line (or Mom, you do it for the younger ones). A simple Google search on the keywords "handmade gifts" or "crafts" will keep you busy forever! If you are packrats like us, simply going through your craft supplies may give you ideas, too. List the gift ideas next to each person on your gift list. Having trouble coming up with ideas? Make a list of keywords that apply to the person (remember that assignment back in September?)- it may give you an idea! This also qualifies as "research techniques" for moms worryied about curriculum.

Day 3: Make a materials list for the supplies you need. Find 'em! Use free time to work on your projects. BTW, this is "art". Don't you love home schooling?

Day 4: Teach young kids the proper address form. Have them address your Christmas card envelopes.

-OR-

Day 4+: Shape poems

Ok, this isn't usually high art, but shape poems are fun & quick, and teach the young poet a sense of the visual presentation of their poems. Even the reluctant poet will often enjoy these. I did a simple tree-shaped demonstration for my kids, using Microsoft Word & a couple simple formatting techniques. I simply typed out Luke 2:9-10 (the angels announcing Christ's birth) and center aligned it on the page. Then I started breaking the lines, making them progressively longer, making the shape of a Christmas tree. I added the words "God is with you", one word per line, for the trunk, inserted a star shape on top & then used color formatting to color two or three letter words different colors for ornaments, with the rest of the tree green & the trunk brown. Viola! Lovely. *Smile*

Of course, I want the kids writing their own stuff, not just copying scripture (beautiful as it is!), so I had them write some descriptive phrases or sentences about Christmas. They can fill them in a simple drawn shape by hand, or follow the contour of a shape. Last year one of the kids did a really cute one in the shape of a guinea pig that eats all the time. The computer makes trying words in different places easier than doing by hand, actually, if the shape is simple enough. My 9 yr. old actually put his today into the shape of an advent wreath with four candles, using the shaped-text option in our graphics program (show off!)! My six year old did hers by hand in a candycane shape. These would make great Christmas cards, or presents for grandparents!

Christmas newsletters:

I write a two page letter every year to include with my Christmas cards. Last year I decided to let everyone in the family contribute a short account of their year instead (I think everyone's tired of hearing my version of the year!). It got rave reviews! So...

Have your children help write your family newsletter. Here's some of my ideas about it (though my own pitched a fit when I suggested assigning stories....). Don't forget that parents have to write, too!!

1)Each family member chooses one highlight &/or one challenge in the past year to write about. Length is determined by the number of family members & whether you want a one page or two page letter.

2) (My 18 yr. old suggested this one: VERY intriguing idea!) Summarize your year in a haiku- three lines, 5,7,5 syllables. Whew! That'd be a challenge!!! -OR- pick another short poetry form- limerick maybe? The possibilities are endless!

3) Have a mini desktop publishing unit. At a family meeting, make a list of family events you all want included. Assign specific stories to specific kids. Assign the older kids to format the letter like a newspaper, with headings, columns, etc. Include a few photos or graphics. This is the one I want for this year, but I have a mutiny on my hands (husband included), so I guess we're back to the same old thing. *boring*

** Image ID #933346 Unavailable **

A sig for the Lothlorien Group!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
seasonal writing ideas · 11-29-05 4:33pm
by Lobelia is truly blessed

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Lobelia is truly blessed.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1175716