*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1529210
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 16, 2007 at 8:26am
Re: The Muse
I'm one of those mix it up people. I believe (and have read from most published authors) that it's important to "Show Up" for writing every day. The muse comes to those who are at their keyboards ready for her. If you're off living life elsewhere then she isn't needed. She's not much interested in the minds of someone busy watching TV. Having said that, I find inspired moments when I'm showering, washing dishes, folding laundry etc. In those activities where the mind can wander the muse weaves between thoughs.

Having said that, if I have a break, or a serious motivational slump I just don't want to write. I dread facing the keys. Inspiration is there because I've learnt to see that I'm never without ideas, but forcing myself to the keys just doesn't work. I never make it. It's something I'm working on because I've found that having a sick day tends to lead into a sick week and a sick month. I've found it's important to "Show Up" "Butt In Chair" "Button Chair" lol There are all sorts of names for it. It's important to make the time to write and be here, start writing, and the rest will happen. The more consistently you do it, the easier it gets.

In a way I guess it's like making an appointment with the muse. She's a busy lady too remember so if she knows you're going to be at the keys at 9PM every night she'll be on time too. She also tends to grace people who listen to her.

Ok, so we talk about "The Muse" as a personified being, ulimately it's just your connection to your creative thinking. We have access to this 24/7 but it's really practice and consistency that help up learn how to connect to it when we need to. If you're constantly off doing other things then you obviously aren't particularly interested in writing. That's great, go have fun doing whatever it is you would rather be doing. But if you want to be a writer then you have to write, it's the only way to make it happen. *Smile*

Have fun and keep writing,
Yours truly,
Rebecca Laffar-Smith

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
The Muse · 06-16-07 12:50am
by Lori Basiewicz
Re: The Muse · 06-16-07 1:47am
by Amarisa
*Star* Re: The Muse · 06-16-07 8:26am
by Rebecca Laffar-Smith
Re: The Muse · 06-16-07 9:32am
by doglady
Re: Re: The Muse · 06-16-07 1:15pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: The Muse · 06-16-07 8:03pm
by the1stephzen
Re: The Muse · 06-18-07 8:13pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: The Muse · 07-09-07 11:11pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: The Muse · 07-09-07 11:17pm
by Amarisa

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1529210