*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1531246
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 19, 2007 at 3:08pm
Re: Re: Characters as Facets thrown out of balance
by Amarisa
It might not be the persuasion or the possibility of change, it might just be the fact that something is in severe opposition with beliefs and therefore a "threat." Think of the Salem Witch Trials, nothing was inherently "wrong" with the "witches," they were just accused of being something that wasn't the norm. They were accused by people who felt so strongly offended by the "witches'" existences that it came to a breaking point.

Most banned books are banned for a reason, and most of them are ones we can learn from. Some of them were brought back to the reading list, in some schools, and they were fun to read. Others should've stayed on the list, like Chocolate Wars, because it was just a bad book in general.

Luckily, we're in a society now that takes a look at evil and thinks about it. Gollum from Lord of the Rings, Darth Vader from Star Wars, the entire group of boys from Lord of the Flies, Tom/Joey from History of Violence, even Ender from the Ender Series. To some people, they were evil and to others they were heroes. It all comes down to perspective.

Open-minded people can take a look at evil and see things from evil's point of view. Is this wrong? To conservative hard-core Christians living in the bible belt, sure. :P I say it just gives us another view into the human psyche and stands as excellent characterization. Of course, I'm one of those people who aren't bothered by different views. My beliefs don't get in the way of what I read. I choose to read something because it perks my interest or it goes along with one of my particular likes. Will I turn down Christian fiction because I'm not Christian? No. Will I stop reading if a particularly gruesome murder occurs? No. I'll look at it from a technical standpoint. How it was written, how much characterization is reveals, the pace of the scene, the outcome, etc. If it draws extreme emotion out of me then it's a good piece of fiction, period. Beliefs shouldn't come in the way of that.
MESSAGE THREAD
Characters as Facets thrown out of balance · 06-19-07 1:26am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Characters as Facets thrown out of balance · 06-19-07 2:29pm
by Holly Jahangiri
*Star* Re: Re: Characters as Facets thrown out of balance · 06-19-07 3:08pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: Re: Characters as Facets thrown out of balance · 06-19-07 6:17pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Characters as Facets thrown out of balance · 06-19-07 6:49pm
by Amarisa
Re's: Characters as Facets · 06-20-07 12:53am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re's: Characters as Facets · 06-20-07 11:45am
by Lori Basiewicz

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1531246