*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1635222
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #980111
A sanctuary for weary writers, inky wretches, and aspiring professional novelists.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 10, 2007 at 4:34pm
Re: One for the other
by Amarisa
I reached a point in my life (in college) when I realized that writing might not be accessable as soon as I get out of school. Getting an internship at even a magazine is hard enough, but succeeding or getting into a publishing company requires a bit more experience, that includes just being published. Despite being on the campus literary magazine staff and at least 10 stories up my sleeve, I don't have many other credentials. However, writing is what I'm good at so I decided to double major in journalism. In this way I have my carreer (and a degree in both journalism and creative writing) with all my stories on the back burner for when they randomly pop up with more information.

The only thing I can suggest is following a set schedule. I don't do it but I probably have a lot more free time than you do (despite double majoring and working two part-time jobs). If, for example, you're working full time and have kids, then wait until they're in bed, make yourself a cup of whatever, and relax at the computer. Sometimes the best kind of relaxation is when you sit down and let your mind wander, either through playing Solitaire or some other mindless game, or through writing out what you see. Even if you're just brainstorming for characters, setting, plot, etc.

It does take dedication, especially keeping to this set schedule. Going with the aforementioned example, I know how exhausting it can be coming home, making dinner for the kids, doing laundry, making sure the house runs smoothly, putting the kids to bed... all you want to do is lay down on the couch and watch tv or just go to bed. But at that point you have to ask yourself how important your writing is, and then perhaps a half hour an evening set aside for writing may not seem so bad.

There are also evening classes you can take for college. My mom tried finishing her degree and went to evening classes once a week even after her full time job and taking care of her family. Some teachers allow food in their classrooms, especially around dinner or lunch. If you work near a college, you might be able to shift around your lunch break and head off to class for an hour (since they last approximately 50 minutes anyway). There are some specialty schools (I know massage therapy does this but I'm not sure about writing) where they'll work around your schedule and even offer weekend courses. And of course any homework can be done over the weekend, perhaps inbetween loads of laundry. ;)

There's a whole host of things you can do for writing while keeping with your job. You just have to open yourself to all the options and be willing to make a few sacrifices (mainly involving leisure time).

Ah! I wrote a novel... sorry if I blinded anyone...
MESSAGE THREAD
One for the other · 11-21-07 12:58pm
by Bernidette
Re: One for the other · 12-04-07 11:57pm
by Marcia Landa
*Star* Re: One for the other · 12-10-07 4:34pm
by Amarisa
Re: Re: One for the other · 12-19-07 3:19pm
by Bernidette
Re: Re: Re: One for the other · 12-25-07 4:47pm
by REDDwarf

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Liam Jackson.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1635222