*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1660721
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 26, 2008 at 8:04pm
Entry
by A Non-Existent User
To tourists, it is a hot, sticky day in South Florida. One of those unforgiving days that frizzes your hair and concerns rise about air quality. To locals, it’s simply August. We should be used to this by now. The heat causes the blue-haired, walker people to shout at each other to get the hell out of each other’s way.

Jamie Calhoun stands in front of the local hamburger joint, wearing an orange bikini top and a pair of cutoffs. Her long brown hair is tucked underneath a NY Yankee ball cap. In weather like this, there is no point to wasting time doing your hair.

The loud roar of the Harley Davidson motorcycle jolts her. She turns and squints. The sun is reflecting off the chrome handlebars, so she can’t see who is riding it. She looks at her wristwatch, 11:45 A.M. She sighs loudly and folds her arms across her chest.

“Where is she? Crystal is never late.“ Jamie exclaims to no one in particular.

Someone covers Jamie’s eyes with calloused hands and whispers in her ear,“Been a long time.”

Jamie’s heart starts racing. Brian. He kisses her on her shoulder. She turns around abruptly and smacks him across the face.

“Hey, what was that for?” Brian said.

“Are you kidding me? Where the hell have you been for the last…?” Jamie stops. The three inch scar across his cheek mars his striking, blue-gray eyes. Gone was his thick, shoulder length brown hair. In place was gray, course, thinning locks. Somehow his six foot stature seemed smaller. He looked worn yet gentle.

She gulps, “What happened?”

“Long story, but not here Jamie.”

She forgot how she melted when he said her name.

“I want to take you for a ride and tell you all about it.”

“Now? I am meeting Crystal fifteen minutes ago.”

“She hasn’t changed, has she?” Brian smiles.

God, he is beautiful.

“Let me call her.” Jamie flips open her cell phone. It rings twice. Before Jamie can say hello, Crystal is apologizing. “I know. I know. I am on my way.”

“Crystal, I have to cancel. I am sorry.”

“What, Jamie?”

“I’ll explain later.” Jamie hangs up.

“Good. Let’s go.” Brian grabs her hand and leads her to his Harley. He is limping.
She doesn’t say anything. They hop on. He starts the engine and they take off north on Interstate 95. Her hands are snugly around his waist. After a half hour, the heat of the bike and the sun is too much. She feels like she is going to pass out. Luckily they exit. In just a few short minutes, Brian and Jamie stop on a dirt road, in front of an old farmhouse.

They dismount and a reddish brown hound dog comes running toward them.

“Hey Hank,” Brian says. “Come here, boy.”

Hank jumps up and licks Brian’s face. “Good boy.”

“Brian, can I get some water?” Jamie asked.

“Sure thing, come on inside.”

“Is this your place?”

“It is as of last month. Pretty cool, huh?”

He gives her a drink of water and a short tour of the place. Then they sit down at the kitchen table. He takes her hand and closes his eyes for a minute. In that moment, Jamie forgot the last three years of pain, anger, hurt, and betrayal. They were just Brian and Jamie, the perfect couple.

They looked perfect together. Their bodies fit, their hair matched. People always stared as they walked by. They had it all. And then…
Brian opened his eyes, “You remember too, don’t you?”

“Of course, how could I forget? Brian, what happened that night? Why is there a scar on your face and a limp to your step? Where have you been?”

“Jamie, sh.” He put his finger to her lips. “I promise I will tell you everything. I got out a year ago.”

“Got out? Of where?” Oops. Jamie always was too impatient. She could see him getting a little irritated.

He stood up and went to the cabinet. He took out a wine glass and poured her some cabernet.

“Here, now relax and listen. I got out of the state prison a year ago. Part of it was my fault, wrong place, right time. But there was something more. I was set up by someone. Not sure who.“

For the next two hours, he explained everything. He told her about the night they were supposed to meet up. He was headed to her house and got rear ended on I 95. In an instant, his Harley was spinning out of control, and when he came to, he was in a ditch. They must have taken his cell phone and wallet, then slashed his face. When the cops arrived, it was daylight. They got him into an ambulance and to a hospital. When they took his clothes off, there was heroin.

Jamie gasped, “Heroin? You don’t? Do you?”

Brian rolled his eyes. “No! Never. Anyway, after they checked me out and stitched me up, they took me to county jail. I wanted to write you but what would I say.”

“Brian, who would do this to you?”

“That is what I have spent the last three years trying to find out. But maybe I will never know. What if they just had the wrong guy?”

“Well, let’s think about it for a minute. Before this happened, who had a grudge against you?”

“I figure it is one of three guys, Tim, Zane, or Steven. Tim worked with me.”
Jamie interrupted, “Steven, my fiancé?”

And there it was. She was engaged.

“When?” he asked meekly.

“Next month,” she replied sheepishly.

“Maybe I better take you back now. He will probably be wondering where you are.”

“Yes, that is probably best.”

They got up from the table and stretched. Should he tell her? Would she believe him? Is it too late?

Before he did anything crazy, like wrecking her new life, he would think on it tonight.

They rode back to her car in silence. When she got off the bike, he asked, “Please don’t tell Steven that I am back, just for tonight.”

She agreed. They left each other awkwardly, like school children with a crush on the other. As she drove away, she phoned Crystal. She had agreed not to tell Steven, but she had to tell someone. And she needed an alibi.

Brian, on the other hand, headed to Steven’s house. Not sure what he would do when he got there but he had to see him.

Steven had always been a bit shady. Growing up, he was always in competition with Brian. But this was too much, my brother and my girl? It was a nightmare. He pulled off to the side of the road and threw up.

Tears started streaming down his cheek as he remembered his brother visiting him in jail, swearing he would help find the bastards.

He pulled up to Steven’s house. With bloodshot eyes and hands shaking, he knocked on the door. He had to see his face.

“Come on in babe.” Steven thought it was Jamie.

Oh God, the thought of them having been together was awful. Focus, Brian told himself.
“Hey little brother, how goes it?”

Steven’s tanned face turned pale. “Uh uh, I wasn’t expecting you. When did you get out? Oh man, I am so happy.” Steven walked over to hug him.

“Stop,” Brian said.

Steven froze.

“You knew I was buying her an engagement ring that night. You set me up, my own brother.”

“No, no, man,” Steven began.

“No. Don’t lie anymore. I can’t take it, just tell me why?”

Defeated, Steven said, “I was always jealous of the relationship between you and Jamie. It wasn’t fair. Then, my gambling habit got out of hand. I owed some guys, some real tough guys. They offered me a deal. If I would help them plant this heroin on someone, they would wipe my slate clean. Even give me a bonus.”

“Well, that explains the house,“ Brian said.

“Don’t tell her. I have some extra cash. I can set you up somewhere real nice.” Steven begged.

Brian pulled a credit card size, digital voice recorder, out of his back pocket. “I don’t want your money. I just want my girl. Now I have the proof. You make me sick.”

As Brian turned to leave, he saw Jamie standing there. She was speechless. She heard everything. Shaking uncontrollably, she sat on the floor and burst out in tears. She called 911 from her cell phone.

No one moved. When the cops came, Brian played the recording back. They handcuffed Steven. Brian and Jamie cried themselves to sleep in each other’s arms that night. They cried for Steven, and for the time lost between them. Could they start over?

One month later: As she walked down the aisle, she looked as beautiful as the day he first saw her. Her long white dress hugged her body beautifully. He honestly didn’t remember anyone else there.

The pastor said, “Do you Jamie Lynn Calhoun take this man, Brian John Fitzpatrick, to be your lawful wedded husband?”

She beamed, “I do.”

“And do you, Brian John Fitzpatrick, take this woman, Jamie Lynn Calhoun, to be your lawful wedded wife?”

With a peaceful smile, Brian said, “I do.”

“Then by the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.”

And what a kiss it was.

THE END

Word count: 1,583
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry · 01-26-08 8:04pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1660721