*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1661364
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 27, 2008 at 7:54pm
Entry-Round Three
by Maretta

"Invalid Item
"Invalid Item
Mrs. HIggins' Day of Liberation

Mrs. Higgins walked down the High street in the beautiful coastal town of Rye. The sunny, blue sky with its puffy white clouds seemed to be painted in with a huge brush. Definitely a Monet, she thought to herself. Of course she knew very well who to give the credit to but the Almighty would forgive her these thoughts as He knew of her great love for artists and how she longed to be one. She smiled as she thought of all the joys the next few hours would bring.

It was spring at last and she could venture out into life. She was so thankful. She loved her small two room apartment just a little walk around the corner from the High Street. Yet, winter had seemed very long and even though she had her television, the weekly bookmobile and her knitting for the hospital natal unit, somehow loneliness seemed to creep in.

Her children were adults now, one acting in London and the other finding a life in the states. She did keep in touch with some friends on the phone now and then. But she had become rather introverted since her long illness.

Today is the day of liberation she told herself and I will make every moment count. She had decided her first stop would be the bookshop and as it was on the opposite side of the street, she guided her cane carefully over the ancient cobbles. There were so many books displayed in the window, she could hardly wait to get inside. The little bell jingled over the door as Mrs. Higgins entered.

Mr. Morris looked up and greeted her.

“So good to see you, my dear, we’ve missed you.”

“And I too have missed you,” she smiled.

“I’m treating myself to a book today.”

“Then you’ve come to the right place,” I expect.

“The new ones are just up one step and on the shelf to the right.”

“Can I help you, Mrs. Higgins?”

“No, I’m fine,” she said as she managed the one step easily.

“You knew, didn’t you that a mystery would be my choice today?”

“Of course, haven’t we always enjoyed the conversations about our ‘Who Dun Its’?”

Mrs. Higgins had no problem finding a book she wanted. The problem was deciding on which one she wanted most. Finally, she decided this would be a two book day, made her choice and found her way to the cash register. Mr. Morris smiled at her choices.

“Two good ones,” I’d say. “My favorites too; what do you think of me buying the two you left back on the shelf and after we’ve each perused our own we can trade?”

Mrs. Higgins smiled “How thoughtful of you Mr. Morris. This is really turning out to be a special day for me.”

After saying her good-byes, she decided to wend her way up to St. Mary’s. It was quite a steep street for her to climb but the thought of the ancient church, its bell tower and clock and the feeling of continuity through the ages made her pilgrimage well worth the effort.

It was blessedly cool in the sanctuary as Mr. Higgins knelt to pray. Always, her first concern was for her children’s safety. Then thanksgiving for all her blessings and finally some ideas of what could make this a better world; hints or suggestions that she felt the Lord might want to think about. Next she made her way over to the votive lights and lit one for her family.

As she left the church and started down the steep sidewalk she realized that her limp seemed more noticeable. She carefully let her cane guide her. Suddenly she heard a roaring sound and she missed a step and found herself lying on the sidewalk. Dazed, she tried to get up but much to her amazement felt a hound dog nuzzling her as if she were a prized specimen.

“I’m losing it.” she thought. “Where am I?”

“We’re going to move you into the store ma’am”, a voice said and she felt herself gently rising and next being placed gently on a bench. She felt as though she were in a movie for there was Mary from the tea room wiping her brow and exclaiming “Are you feeling faint Emily”?

Mrs. Higgins somehow managed to pull herself together and heard herself laughingly say, “I’m fine Mary. Just a little shaken up. I was just coming here when I heard a roar, missed a step and somehow ended up exactly where I wanted to be.”

“Sorry Ma’am that was us on our motorcycles”, said a low voice. Mrs. Higgins looked up and saw to young men in leather jackets complete with tattoos and pony tails.

Mrs. Higgins again looked at the two angels that had saved her.

“My goodness”, she thought, could it be that my two angels are…Hells angels?” The thought of this made her want to giggle but she composed herself and told them not to worry.

“Now, I’m going to have the treat I’ve waited for all day.”

“Will you join me for a cream tea?”

“That’s not necessary Ma’am”, they said.

“Indeed it is, Mary, I for one will have the cream tea.”

The two men smiled sheepishly.

“How about hamburgers with all the trimmings”, Mary suggested.

“That sounds great.”

“Comin’-up”, Mary grinned, using her best American diner accent.”

Mrs. Higgins spread strawberry jelly on her scone and topped it with a large spoonful of clotted cream. “It’s so delicious.” she remarked and then sipped her hot tea with relish.

“Same here”, Michael and Sam agreed.

“You remind me of my Mum.” Michael said.

“That’s nice. Does she live near-by?”

“No, we’ve been traveling around. She’s down in Cornwall.”

“Mine too”, Sam added.

Suddenly Mrs. Higgins felt very tired and the thought of her cozy, small apartment beckoned. Michael noticed immediately and went to call a cab. Mary came over to the table to make sure everything was all right and promised to watch “Sailor” the hound dog until Michael and Sam arrived back for their motorcycles.

The cab arrived and in a very few minutes the young men were gently helping Mrs. Higgins into her own house.

“Your house reminds me of my mum’s too”, Michael said.

“I do hope you get back there soon”, Mrs. Higgins said as she handed them apples and wrapped gingerbread for their journey.

“Thank you for being my angels today”, she said as she kissed each of them on the cheek.

“What an adventure I’ve had today, stop by and see me any time you’re up this way again.” She went to the door with them and as they started to walk around the corner, they turned to wave farewell.

“Phone your mum she called.” and she thought she heard
“We will.” echo back.

Emily Higgins sat down in her chair. She clasped her hands together in prayer. She thanked God for her blessings and especially for the angels who appear, in many disguises, when they are most needed.
1178 words
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry-Round Three · 01-27-08 7:54pm
by Maretta

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1661364