*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1783870
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1199662
48 hours to write a short story to a prompt. Enter to win great prizes.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 7, 2008 at 6:34pm
Edited: September 7, 2008 at 10:23pm
Entry
by A Non-Existent User

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1471324 by Not Available.

The Memory

Written by:

CAV LASTER

Victoria stared transfixed at the chipmunk, as the animal neared her. Come on, just a little closer, she thought while remaining completely still. Her throat was dry with anticipation, but she not dared swallow, for fear that the gulping sound would cause it to run away.

Her feet and legs were tired from standing like a tree for the past fifteen minutes. Perspiration covered her forehead as drips of sweat ran down her spine. She held a moan as the breeze found it’s way to her, and cooled her heated flesh. Fourteen-year-old Victoria was a determined little thing, not caring what she had to endure, as long as things got done her way.

The little furry thing was going to eat out of her hand today, so she thought, as it now climbed up her leg. It stilled on her thigh, as the sounds of dry leaves crushing echoed their surroundings. She gritted her teeth as the newcomer came closer, while the chipmunk took off like hell had broken loose.

“Vicky, what are you doing?” sixteen year old Gary said as he approached her. “What did you do to yourself?”

With one hand he tugged on the vines encircling her body, while the other passed over her mud-dried arm. She turned sharply and threw the peanut kernels at him. “You stupid, stupid boy! You couldn’t come to bother me some other time? Why don’t you leave me alone! I hate you!”

Pain stricken his eyes from her cruel words as he stared at her for a few seconds, before lowering his gaze and turning to leave. “Wait!” She grasped his shoulder and sighed. “I’m so sorry, Gary. I didn’t mean what I said, and I shouldn’t have said that.”

He wiped a tear from his face as he nodded, his short red curls bounced at the gesture. “What are you doing here? I thought you were planning to go camping this weekend.”

“I was, but I believe you would come to need me more.” His face that had grown weary a second ago now shone with determination. A flutter of butterfly wings stirred her belly, as she looked into his green eyes. Her gaze fell to his lips, and she turned before he would notice her actions.

She headed toward her backpack, tucked between two large rocks by the river. “What made you believe such a thing?” she asked over her shoulder as she took out a pair of scissors.

Sounds of snapping blades resonated the area as she cut the arrangement of vines she had decorated her body with, hoping to fool the chipmunk that she was a tree. The trick had work. Until Gary decided to barge in, ruining her plans and hard work.

“I’ve learned the true reason of the delay of your father not returning from his last assignment.”

Victoria furrowed her eyebrows, as she managed to cut the last trailing plant, which fell silently on the ground. She gave him a sideways stare, as she brushed back her raven black hair. “What are you talking about, Gary? Mom told me that dad was forced to serve another six months in Iraq.”

“She lied,” Gary said in a stern tone.

Victoria stiffened. “What! Why we she do such a thing?”

He stuck a hand in his jacket pocket and took out a piece of white paper. “I…found this yesterday tucked under the porcelain fruit bowl on your dinning table. I believe you mom was trying to hide the truth from you. I…didn’t know whether to tell you or not.” He handed it out to her. “But, I know I would want to know if I were in your shoes.”

Her hand trembled as she took hold of the document. Victoria realized what it was as she gaze upon it. It was a letter from her dad, the words were smeared, but she knew his handwriting. The postmark was three days old. Her heart paced, as she slipped the paper out from its wrinkled envelop.

It read:

Dear Holly and Victoria,

If you have received this letter, know that I am dead. I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my promise to return to you both. I love you very much. And I’ll be with you always, as long as you keep me safe in your hearts. Please be strong, I know it won’t be easy, but I’ll be watching over you both. I send all my love to the women in my life, my darling wife, Holly, and my precious gem, Victoria. Daddy loves you, and don’t ever forget it. I must now go and face the harsh battle that may bring peace upon this land. Know that I carry your memories as I face these hard times. Godspeed.

Henry Barnes.

Victoria heaved as her legs buckled. She blinked as she reread her father’s words. The tears that swelled in her eyes blinded her. She staggered back into warm arms that embraced her, as she sobbed her heart out. “Ssssh! Its okay, Vicky, I’m here. Cry all you like,” he murmured in her ear. Gary turned her, bringing her head to rest against his chest as he kissed the top of her head.

She wrapped her arms around his torso, his warmth and tenderness was a consolation, while her soul was stricken with grief. His hot breath against her neck relaxed her. He pulled away and brushed his lips against hers. She stilled. “I love ya, Vicky. I’ve always had and always will. You're the girl I will marry, you'll see, I’ll make you my wife.”

She blushed. “I never thought I could be pretty enough for you, like those snobby ‘know it all’ girls at school,” she said as she pulled away.

He held her closer. “You’re beautiful to me, Vicky. Even now, under all this mess.”

She arched a brow. “What mess?”

He pulled out a few tucked leaves out of her hair. She remembered what she had done to herself. Victoria strode towards the river and saw her reflection. She gaped at her bummy looking state. Her hair fell all over the place, while dry and fresh leaves filled her mane. Her white milk skin and clothing was now covered with parched dark mud. Only her light blue eyes were visible as they looked back at her.

“What were you trying to do?” Gary said while he folded his arms over his chest. An amused smile appeared on his face.

Victoria smiled sheepishly. “You know that you’re the only friend I have, so like you were going away this weekend, I needed some company.”

He chuckled. “And a chipmunk was supposed to replace me?”

Victoria pouted as she placed her fists on her hips. “Don’t make fun of me, Gary. I know it’s was immature of me, but I was desperate.”

She sat and slouched on a nearby rock. Gary sat beside her as he hugged her with one arm. “I know. I’m just messing with you. Hey, we should head back to your house before nightfall settles.”

She looked up and saw the darkening sky. She sighed. “I guess you’re right.”

Her body was fatigued and she tried to fight against the exhaustion, which had come over her. Gary helped her up, slipped her backpack over his shoulder and led the way. The strong scent of something burning caught their attention as they were exiting the woods.

She stilled at the sight of her home on fire. The sounds of wood crackling under the consuming blaze echoed, causing her to run towards the residence. “Mom! Mom! Where are you?” Victoria shrieked as she ran, while Gary kept up the pace she had taken.

She saw a slim figure stumbling as it walked towards her. It was her mother. She carried a large bottle of liquor and stopped for a moment as she gulped some down. “Mom! What’s going on? What happened to the house?” Victoria managed to say as she reached her side.

Her mother wiped her lips, and stared her way with empty eyes. She seemed lost and broken. “He left us, Vicky! Your father’s not coming back,” Holly said, slurring her words along the way. She fell as she tripped over a rock. “I…couldn’t keep living in that house, Vicky. I should have burn myself to. I…don’t want to live without him. I can’t! I’m not strong enough.”

Victoria fell to her knees and hugged her mother. She sobbed into her chest, while Victoria whispered between gasps, “Mom, I know the truth. I know it’s very hard, and I don’t want to live without him too. But I need you. Please don’t leave me too.”

Gary carried a gloomy look as he watched them. She reached out to him and he squeezed her hand. “I got to get some help, I’ll be back. Remember what I said to you before, I meant every word.”

Victoria nodded and released his hand. He ran towards the direction of his home. Her gazed was fixed on his back as he dipped into the shadow of the woods. “I’m sorry for burning down our house.”

She patted her mother’s head as she mumbled, “Its okay, mom. Don’t worry, everything will be alright. Just stay with me, that’s all I ask.”

Holly nodded her head as her cry intensified. A loud thud sounded as part of the house came crumbling down. Victoria watched how the hungry flames her mother started, were destroying the home she grew up in. Her heart ached, as she also realized everything she owed, and especially her father’s things, were now all gone.

A tear roamed down Victoria’s face, as a soft voice broke her daze like state. “Mommy,” six-year-old Harriet called out to her. She wiped her teary face, while fixing her gaze on her beautiful red haired daughter in her summer dress. Her tender green eyes looked upon her, as she stood before a small hole they dug together.

Birds chirping, and the flutter of their wings echoed throughout the forest. “Do you think it’s big enough?” Harriet asked while she dug with her miniature shovel. Victoria nodded, while clutching tightly the urn in her hands as she sat on the rock. The melodious sounds made by the running water of the river, soothed her soul. It was though as Gary had never left, and somehow she knew, he would always be with them, while his memory continued to live in their hearts. It was time.

Victoria kissed the lid as she said her silent goodbyes, before placing the object in its final resting place. “Bye daddy, I love you.” Harriet gave a warm smile as she brought her into a hug. “Don’t worry, mommy. God will keep him safe, right?”

“Yes, Harriet, you’re absolutely right.” She gave her a peck on the cheek before standing.

As they headed towards the exit of the woods, Harriet asked, “Mommy, why did we bury daddy here?”

Victoria smiled. “Because here was where daddy told me for the first time, that he loved me, and promised to make me his wife.”

“Really?” she asked, while swaying the arm of their entwined hands.

“Yes. Would you like to know how I was trying to catch a chipmunk?”

“Oh yes, mommy. Please do tell.” A hopeful gleam filled her little eyes.

As they stood at the outskirts of the forest she looked back. She inhaled deeply as her heart soared with longing. Yes…many memories burned in her mind, but there was only one that would always remain safe in her heart. And today she would make sure Harriet learned of it.

Word count: 1,940

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry · 09-07-08 6:34pm
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/1783870