*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122219
by Dee
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Educational · #1421315
Let your knowledge spill forth like a fountain or partake in the wisdom of those who do.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 11, 2010 at 6:40pm
Re: Ireland and Wales: Where to base my characters....
by Light
I am of Irish descent. So, I thought you might be interested in the origin of St. Patrick's Day. The legend says that Ireland was once plagued with snakes. By some magical ability, the man that became known as St. Patrick somehow rid Ireland of the snakes by driving them into the sea. And, they made him a Saint.

Maybe, you would be interested in the origin of kilts. There was a lot of wars early in the history of the Celtic countries. The armies had little with which to equip their soldiers. For a uniform, they gave them something like a long poncho, and nothing else, not even undergarments. It was not only their uniform, but there tent when they slept.

Over many, many years, the tradition carried down but it became a smaller garment. So, in modern times, a kilt is a man's skirt. Until not too long ago, men still wore nothing under them. Now, they are worn mostly by Scottish men.

Maybe, you can use some of this.

Light
Science, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Metaphysical
MESSAGE THREAD
Ireland and Wales: Where to base my characters specifically · 08-11-10 2:05pm
by Kymela Tejasi
*Star* Re: Ireland and Wales: Where to base my characters.... · 08-11-10 6:40pm
by Light
Re: Re: Ireland and Wales: Where to base my characters.... · 08-11-10 7:14pm
by Raoc
Re: Ireland and Wales · 08-13-10 11:11pm
by Past Member 'asymmetrical'
Re: Re: Ireland and Wales · 08-14-10 4:19pm
by Kymela Tejasi

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Dee.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2122219