*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2265969
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #1789622
Simple introduction - hopefully posted to the correct place - still learning how to post
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 7, 2011 at 9:57pm
Regaining my gift
I am working hard to make writing my "real" life instead of something that happens when I get the time. It is much harder than I could have possibly have imagined.

Part of it is the guilt I feel. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that if it makes you happy then it can't be good for you. I am trying to get rid of that attitude because writing makes me feel not only happy but powerful and full of awe. I can create worlds with a simple stroke of a few keys and terrifyingly destroy those same worlds with another few strokes. I can challenge people's thoughts and beliefs or inspire other's to achieve greatness.

Sadly I can also forego all of that and put off my writing. I can ignore the little voice that whispers urgently that their is a story to tell and cannot understand why my fingers are not taking action. I can excuse myself from my gift with a simple statement, "I'm tired", and I can walk past the keyboard without any qualms.

The other part is the embarassment of writing. I find that I am still uncomfortable with people reading my work, even with the positive feedback I have received, I will always be the little girl who wrote a love letter only to have it discovered and used to humiliate her. The words I was told then by a loving mother who meant no harm by them, were simple enough. Never put anything in writing.

Again that is an attitude I am trying to change. Writing.com will be my proving ground. I have already learned so much in my short time here and the welcomes that I have received have made this one of the best finds in my websurfing adventures.

Writing.com is not just another website, it will be my touchstone.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Regaining my gift · 07-07-11 9:57pm
by Innkeepersdaughter

<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Innkeepersdaughter.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2265969