*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2334975
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #430646
Actors, actresses, movies, TV -- It's the 'Golden Globe' of Writing.Com! Quill Nominee
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 15, 2011 at 9:07am
A Tale Of Three Scrooges
Happy Holidays -

At this time of year most folks like to settle down in the evening and watch movies based on a holiday theme. Surely the story that has been put to film the most in this genre, is A Christmas Carol.

I have seen many renditions of this story by Charles Dickens, but only one really seems to hit the mark. After having read the story many times, both as a Christmas tradition when I was a kid, or on my own for the love of well written classics, it is essential to me that all version carry the same message. An old reprobate reclaimed in the name of charity and affection.

Let's look at three of these movies.

The First

A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart. I don't know if you have ever seen this version. It was a 1998 film in color with Mr. Stewart as the lead character, Ebeneezer Scrooge. Everyone knows the ins and outs of Mr. Scrooge. He's mean, selfish and uncaring. That is evident in this offering. Patrick does a good enough job until the ending. When he wakes on Christmas morning, his laugh and the reactions that follow are so forced it is downright comical. He may be commanding as Star Trek's Picard, but as Scrooge he lacks that sullen meanness that sets the character. His joy at awakening, altered from what he was,is anit-climatic. It leaves the viewer lacking the conviction of the old man to really change.
I am not positive, but think you can see it on YouTube.

The Second

A Mickey Christmas Carol

This is a Walt Disney production of the old tale. It is well done and tells the story with moderations, very close to the original story. Of course the parts are played by Disney characters, but the choices are wonderful. Scrooge McDuck as Scrooge, Mickey Mouse as Bob Cratchet, Donald Duck as nephew Fred and Goofy as Marley. I think the casting is perfect when you think of the character traits of each of these Disney denizens. The tale of reclamation is handled for kids, but it's still worth watching, especially in family mode. This can be found on Youtube and in any of the Disney retailers

The Third

A Chistmas Carol

This is one of the original filmings of this story, completed about 1934. It stars Alister Sim as Scrooge. In my mind this is the penultimate rendition. Most of the script for the movie relies heavily on the dialogue from the book. Shot in black and white it has that eerie ghost story quality that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Scrooge is excellently portrayed by Sim and his end story epiphany has you wondering, along with his cleaning lady if the old duffer has really lost his mind.
It is obvious that this is my favorite, I highly recommend it. You can find it on YouTube, for sale in Virgin Records and on some local origination stations throughout the Christmas season.

I hope you all enjoy your Holidays. Happiness and Peace be with you all. Blessings, Bertie
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
A Tale Of Three Scrooges · 12-15-11 9:07am
by bertiebrite hoping for peace

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann - House Martell.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2334975