Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:15pm
Entry for 3/8
by Rojodi
The Clock

WC: 298

“What’s the point of this?” the client asked, sitting nervously across the desk from me. “I am a very busy and important person.” He was agitated. I would be, too, if two nothing private detectives called me away from a business meeting to discuss a small matter.

“Well,” I began. I took a moment to carefully choose the words I was about to use. I inhaled deeply and said, “We’ve found ‘The Hallstead Clock‘, Sir, but there seems to be a problem.”

I saw the rage well up, starting in his eyes, then to his face. I subconsciously - or consciously - pushed my chair back.

“What do you mean, ’There seems to be a problem’? I paid you to find and retrieve the clock. There is NO problem!” He looked at me with bad intentions in his eyes. “I want that clock here tomorrow,” he demanded, punctuating it by pounding his finger on my desk.

“It’s not that easy,” Nate said from the couch. He retrieve a piece of paper from his satchel and walked it over to our client. “As you can see, you have no legal right to it.”

His shoulders dropped, his entire attitude changed as he read the legal document. He looked at me, his jaw slacked. It appeared that Mr. Dennison wanted to speak, but the words were stuck.

“It’s important that we terminate our relationship with you.” I opened the middle desk drawer and pulled out a check. I slid it over to him. “We’re returning all the money you paid us.”

I stood and put my hand out. “Mr. Dennison, if there’s anything in the future we can help you with, feel free to call us.”

“You two own it,” he mumbled as he left, still staring at the document.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry for 3/8 · 03-08-12 2:15pm
by Rojodi

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2369234