Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(333)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #896794
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 13, 2012 at 9:46pm
Entry 3/13/12 Unforgettable Memory by creative_expression
As I am writing this, a gentle smile brings this wonderful memory forefront as if it was today. When I was a young girl, every summer vacation was spent in Nova Scotia visiting my grandparents.The house was always filled with the smell of Grandma's homemade bread and soft molasses cookies. There was always room to play as the had over 35 acres, 6 of which were field and the rest was forest which backed onto a man made lake.
The fields behind the farmhouse were filled with wonderful great tasting wild blueberries, which I could pick from morning till nite and Gram made the best blueberry pie ever.This July morning mom and I set out to pick enough blueberries for two pies as Aunt Maxine and Uncle Martel were coming for dinner. With my basket,( everyone thought was almost as big as I was) and Mom with her pot we headed into the field.
It was a beautiful sunny day warm but just enough of a breeze to gently blow through my hair but also to keep the deer flies at bay. It wasn't more than a few minutes till the delicious berries were everywhere we looked. "Make sure you watch where you step" Mom said making sure I was not straying to far. It was just over half and hour and my basket was overflowing, we decided to head back to the house with the bountiful harvest when suddenly the berries were falling out of the bottom of my basket.In a matter of seconds every berry in the basket was now in a pile of the ground, the bottom of my basket somehow had a hole in it.
"How did that get there" I asked just then I looked down to see two small mice in the pile of berries. I jumped back, startled and fell right into the berry pile head first squishing the berries into my hair as the mice scurried off.We broke out into uncontrollable laughter. Once composed, I realized my basket was never going to hold berries" Lets take a break and have some ice cream, we can get you something other than a basket so the mice won't steal your berries and make you dye your hair". We headed for the house laughing all the way.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Entry 3/13/12 Unforgettable Memory by creative_expression · 03-13-12 9:46pm
by creative_expression

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Arakun the Twisted Raccoon.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2371175