*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2388810
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(167)
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #101179
All invited, Speak your mind, got a New Story?, Opinion?, Need help?, Like a story?.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 2, 2012 at 5:27pm
My first attempt at writing (feed back appreciated)
(PROLOGUE)

Alexandria Dalton leaned forward in her saddle giving the big black Hanoverian a reassuring pat on the neck and cooed softly too him, Easy hansom, were up soon. He danced around and pawed at the ground. The stud seemed antsy, which is not uncommon in most stallions but Geronimo was not like most studs. He was gentle and calm and they had a special bond that had no doubt come from her hand raising him. His mother had died shortly after giving foal to him. She remembered how small and frail he had looked. Andy her ranch manager had told her he wouldn't ever grow to be strong enough to pull a pony cart. She had smiled at the grumpy old man and said "No he will never pull a pony cart, he's going to be a Jumper and the finest one Texas has ever seen! Andy had scoffed at her and told her to make sure she yelled Geronimo when she took him to the jumps because she would be the only one flying over any fences. She eyed the spindly legged little colt, and smiled...Geronimo it is. She had slept in the barn for months, raising the little colt. When it had come time to saddle brake him he had not so much as tried to throw her even once. He trusted her as she trusted him. Together they had taken the horse show world by storm! She had been offered by many to buy Geronimo, even the very wealthy Joesph Thorten had offered her a very large amount of cash to buy him for his daughter Sara Thorten. She had turned it down of course, no amount of money would have been enough to sell her pride and joy or any of her horses for that matter to Sara Thorten. Sara Thorten was an unbelievable wicked woman who cared for no one but herself and winning. Pushing her horses until they broke just to win. She had seen many times the way Sara had manhandled her horses and the risks she took with them.

Speak of the devil she mumbled under her breath to Geronimo. Sara trotted her big lean blood bay mare up to Ally. Sara yanked the mare to a stop beside Elizabeth and in a strangely pleasant voice said: Good morning Alexandria! Great day for a show isn't it! This weather is simply perfect for jumping don't you agree? Before she could even answer Geronimo let out a high pitched sequel throwing his head and dancing around even more. Sara narrowed her ice blue eyes at Ally all pleasantries washed from her face and in a very snide voice said " maybe you should learn to control that beast of yours before he ends up hurting someone" Before Ally could even answer her little comment, Sara had plastered the smile back on her face and yelled out "Good Luck" before whipping her mare around to head too the entry gate, her mares large rump knocking into her and Geronimo. And that's when Ally saw it..Sara's mare was in heat! What was that crazy woman thinking! She knew Geronimo was a stallion. Why on earth would she bring a mare in heat so close to a stud! It was dangerous and dumb! If he would have been any other stud it could have been some very BIG trouble. Geronimo continued to fidget under her, she leaned down and tried to sooth the big stud, patting him and talking softly to him. "Whats up with the birdbrain now?" Andy's gruff voice said walking up to Ally. Sara was being Sara. I said flatly. I was talking about Moron here, he's already got a lather working up on him. Ally rolled her eyes and smiled at Andy. You know as well as I do he's far from a moron Andy. Sara's mare is in heat , and she brought her over here to make "pleasantries" I air quoted. She's trying to get your horse worked up and throw him off his game..which isn't hard to do with his pea brain. Andy said flatly. Ally chuckled softly at the old man. If anyone else who worked for her had said a foul word about her horses she would probably have given them their walking papers. Andy however was given a free pass because she knew under that ruff gruff facade he put on that deep down he cared about the ranch and the horses as much as she did. He had been working on the ranch sense before the passing of her parents and had helped and guided her in the running of the ranch. Andy eyed Geronimo suspiciously, and then looked up at Ally and asked " Did you forget to Vix him?" Nope, I vixed him right after I unloaded him and went to register. Vixing a horse was a little trick Andy had taught her. You rub a little vapor rub around their nostrils and Presto! If there is a mare in heat the stud is not able to sent her very well because of the fumes from the suave. Plus I parked as far back as I could away from the other trailers so he was not near any mares. Geronimo was a very well behaved stud but that did not mean she didn't take ever precaution there was. Showing a stud was a large responsibility it only took one slip up to cause a whole lot of problems. So Ally always made sure to park far away from others, keep him double tethered, and always keep some vapor rub handy.Andy let out a long sigh. Maybe you should skip this show and shoot for another one when Moro here is not acting like he's hopped up on pixi stix. Ally giggled. Oh he will settle down once he gets in the ring. besides we need to place here. There are only 5 top shows left till nationals and I don't want to take a chance of not having the points to be in it. We need nationals. She said firmly.

A sharp crack brought Ally's and Andy's attention back to the ring. Sara was up and was heading to the first jump giving her big mare another hard whack with the riding crop. Elizabeth felt her temper boil under the surface. People like that shouldn't be allowed to own any animal! she bit out between clinched teeth. I agree but unless she's beating the horse senseless there is nothing we can do about it, most riders use crops. Ally refused to ever use one on any horse. She treated them with the love and respect they deserved. Besides who ever won someones trust by hitting them?!?! She watched Sara push the big mare hard and fast over the jumping course. Why is she pushing her so hard all she needs is a clean round to make it to the jump offs, then is when time would count. Cause she has less brains than halfwit here..he said as he patted Geronimo's thick neck. You need to focus on you and birdbrain now, your up. He turned her to the gate and gave her horse a pat on the rump.

Just as she had predicted once her horse got into the ring he settled right down. Its like he knew it was time for business. Lets do this boy she whispered and gave him one more reassuring pat. He sailed effortlessly over the jumps and they kept a nice steady pace the whole course. No reason to drain him she just needed a clean round to qualify for the jump off. She loved the feeling of jumping it was like flying without wings. The big double oxer was the last set of jumps and they were home free. She felt his muscles gather under her seat and push off the ground, she remembered smiling at the feel of the wind on her face while they flew over the jump as she whispered Geronimoooo! That is the last thing she remembered about that day. The next thing she knew she was waking up in the hospital feeling like she had been run over by a truck. Her head hurt and her vision was blurry. She tried to call out to someone anyone. Oh kiddo she heard Andy whisper. Geronimo? Is he...she couldn't get the words out. her throat was so dry and her head was swimming. He's fine dont worry about that nag. Andy gruffed as he stroked her hair. And then everything went black again. Her last conscious thought was Thank God her boy was ok.

She drifted in and out of consciousness for days. Andy Loyed never left her side. He looked down at her frail body covered in bruises and nasty scarps and shook his head ruefully chastising himself about letting her ride knowing her horse was not in his right half brained mind. He felt a overwhelming sense of guilt. Even though deep down he knew it had not been the horses fault or the fact that there was no way on Gods green earth she would have listened and skipped the show. She was far to driven and had to much on the line to miss their chance at a big win. Especially the trouble the ranch had been having, no doubt thanks to the Thortens. Andy knew why she clung to the ranch so hard and pushed herself beyond her braking point to make sure the ranch was successfully. Andy had started working there 16 years ago when her parents were both still alive. They were good honest people and he had enjoyed the time he spent working for Carl and Johnna Dalton. Carl was a rodeo man and JoHnna was his biggest fan, always cheering her husband on with little Ally whooping and cheering just as loud as her mother. It was a shame what had happened. Johanna and Ally had watched in horror as Carl lost his life in the ring. Andy shuttered at the thought that Ally could have met the same fate today. Stop frowning you'll give yourself wrinkles a small voice choked out. He looked down in a start to see Ally trying unsuccessfully to smile up at him. I'm 63 years old wrinkles are the least of my worries at this point especially with all the gray hair you keep adding to my head. He complained to her, but she saw the concern in his gray eyes. Do I look that bad? she whispered unable to find her voice. You look like hell kiddo I ain't gonna lie. she smiled weakly at him. I..she tried to clear her throat...I need some water. He got up and went to where the nurse had left him a pitcher of water and some styrofoam cups. He poured her a cup and popped a straw in and held it while she slowly sipped it. She swore it was the most refreshing liquid she had ever tasted. Just then a nurse came into the room to check on her vitals and with a no nonsense voice said " Ahhh I see Miss Dalton is awake but she should not be drinking anything until the Dr has seen her and ok'ed it" she scolded Andy. Andy brushed off the nurses reprimand and shot back " Well better run along and get the Dr. don't worry I wont let her drowned" The nurse gave a huff and went into trying to explain that she should not be eating or drinking in case she had to have anymore surgery..but stopped short when Andy made a shooing motion with his hand at her. The nurse bristled and stormed out of the room.

What does she mean more surgeries? Ally asked She saw the grim lines set in on Andy's face. Maybe you should wait till the Dr comes in he'll be better explaining all the medical mumbo jumbo than I would. Ally's eyes peered up at him and he could see the pleading in them. Please Andy she whispered. Fine, he caved. You took a pretty nasty spill do you remember any of it? She tried to think but couldn't her brain felt foggy. she shook her head slightly. Well you and rocks for brains got to the last set of the jumps. He cleared the first of the double oxer but on the last one he spooked and your girth broke and you came down pretty hard on the jump..he paused and seemed visibly shaken by having to relive the events...Y'all crashed into the jump and you got caught by the jump cup and ripped yourself up pretty bad not to mention that meathead of a horse tap dancing all over you trying to get free from the jump derby. Oh no..Geronimo! she gasped. Is he ok?!?! Andy threw his hands up in frustration. I'm trying to explain to you how bad you were hurt and all you care about is that moron of a horse! It wasn't a question but she answered anyway. Please Andy she pleaded her big hazel eyes wet with unshed tears. Andy sighed and look defeated. Birdbrain is fine a few minor cuts but he's being well looked after and will recover just fine, you on the other hand.. he shook his head at her..are gonna take awhile to mend. She gave a sigh of relief that Geronimo was ok. I don't know who has less brains you or that horse. She gave him a weak smile and winced in pain. Where the Hell is that nurse? Andy barked and stormed out of the room to hunt down the nurse and probably drag her back by her hair no doubt.

Ally lay there trying to recall the events of the accident but her head pounded in protest.In fact she had never felt worse in her life. Her whole body throbbed with pain. Elizabeth had, had her share of broken bones, bumps, and bruises, growing up on a horse farm it was bound to happen. But, never had she felt the way she did right now. She was not one of those girls who withered in pain, but right now that's just what she felt like doing. A few moments later Andy walked in with the Dr in tow and nurse sour puss right behind them.

Alexandria Dalton, I'm Dr Shaffer the old man said while looking at the charts in his hands. He set the chart down on the side table and took out his stethoscope and listened to her chest. Good Good he said more to himself than to her. How are you feeling Miss Dalton? It hurts to even breath. Elizabeth said weakly. Well that's no wonder, you took a pretty nasty fall there young lady your lucky it was not worse than what it was. How bad? she asked. He picked back up her charts and scanned it. You fractured some of you ribs on your right side and you have a laceration that runs from your 3ed rib to your hip on the right side which we have stitched up, you also hit your head pretty hard and had to have 8 stitches over your eyebrow. as well as a hireline fracture in your Clavicle. He paused and looked at her. We need to keep you here for a few weeks to make sure there is no infection or neurological damage done. We also need to run some more tests.Ally started to protest; I have a ranch that needs to be run, horses that needed my care, not to mention she had to be able to place in the next few shows to secure her ticket to nationals! But the sharp look Andy gave her cut her off mid protest. Miss Dalton, the Dr said. I'm sorry but your not going to be able to ride for at least 3 months and that is pushing it. Elizabeth groaned. You don't understand. she started to say but the Dr held up his hand and cut her off. This is not up for debate you need rest. I have prescribed you a heavy painkiller that will help you relax and ease your pain enough to sleep. Lets get you some pain medication kiddo and then you can tell the Doctor how to Doctor. Andy said and gave the Dr a sly wink. She thought about arguing with Andy but thought better of it. Ally was more than happy to get the pain shot her body was screaming for relief. She felt it kick in as soon as the nurse pushed it threw and then flushed her IV and just like that she was out. Her last lucid thought was "Tricky old goat".
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My first attempt at writing (feed back appreciated) · 05-02-12 5:27pm
by Heather Anderson-Whipple

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The Milkman.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2388810