*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2405111
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 14, 2012 at 10:39pm
June 14 - Gun
by Diane
I woke with my hand on the trigger. I did nt know where I was or who the guy on the floor was, but I knew I had to kill him. He was curled in the fetal position, arms wrapped around his head. His hair was gray and his clothes were dirty. I felt a moment of pity for this nameless man.

Despite the pity, my finger tightened on the trigger. I had my orders and I wasn't in a position to second guess my superiors. I didn't remember what this one had done; maybe nothing yet, only time would tell, but if he lived, millions would die. Of this I was certain. They only sent me out on the big jobs so the number of lives in the balance had to be in the thousands.

"You've been tried by the Council of Unity and found guilty. The punishment is death. Your live to save those that are to come." My speech over, it was time to get it done and go.

"Wait! I've done nothing, you are making a mistake." he cried, lifting his deep blue eyes to mine while pleading for mercy.

"No, but you will. The Council doesn't make mistakes." I pulled the trigger and he slumped to the foor, a river of blood flowing out of his dying body.

I stayed long enough to ensure that he wouldn't be revived, then radioed the command center. "it's done. I'm ready for transport."

Seth, the transport operator, looked at the monitor to be certain the Council members were still in session. "Bringing you back now." he responded.

This was the third time he'd sent a cleaner out on a mission without Council approval. Some things just couldn't wait for review and consensus. He knew they'd find out eventually, but if he chose his targets carefully and rotated cleaners it wouldn't happen until he was finished cleaning up a mess that they should have addressed long ago.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 14 - Gun · 06-14-12 10:39pm
by Diane

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2405111