*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2405911
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 17, 2012 at 1:56am
June 16 - Glass
The glass walkway out of the palace looked different than Snow remembered. Then again it had been at least five years since someone let him leave the palace. In those days, the glass displayed healthy green trees all above the path to the gate. He used to sneak into the tunnel as a kid to look up at the sky through the framed branches. The view had become gray and dull over the years after his parents deaths. Now the kingdom waited upon his 18th birthday to take over the crown, but he couldn't. He knew what the people said when he wasn't around. After all, his father had strong powers to protect the kingdom and his son should have those same abilities. Since he didn't, how could he be the real prince. Maybe he wasn't.

Snow walked down the glass path, ignoring the sight of the deadening nature that reflected inward. He had to leave, to get away from the castle with the hope that someone qualified would be found to take his place as the future king. Before he reached the wooden gate, he felt a tug against his cloak.

"Your Highness, what are you doing out here if I may ask?"

He turned to see his personal servant, Avery, as he bent down to his knee before him. He hated when Avery did that. "Please don't call me that. I've asked you before not to address me as such."

"My apologies, Snow." Avery still kept his gaze low for a moment before looking up.

"I'm leaving," he decided to answer even though he knew the reaction he'd get from his faithful servant. "I don't belong here and won't sit around in a castle while the kingdom rots because I have no ability to provide for the people."

"You can't leave. I... we need you. You're the true King."

"No. I'm not."

"Then I must go with you." Avery stepped closer but was pushed away.

Snow struggled with the idea. He wanted to have Avery with him. It would make running away more tolerable, but he couldn't put the closest thing he had to a friend through that. "You can't go with"

"I'm your servant. I go where you go."

"Not anymore." Taking out most of the coins he had taken to buy food on his journey, he gave them to Avery and left only two for himself. He didn't know if the money was the right gesture but he went with it. "You're free."

Avery didn't take it at first but eventually his hand gripped the gold coins. "Then I shall still go with you. I can't just leave my duties, money or not. No one would believe me."

Then he took his ring from his right hand and handed it over too. "This token will prove my decision to any who would doubt your freedom. Go and find a happy life for yourself. Goodbye Avery."

Snow walked away before he could give in despite the ache he felt in the pit of his stomach. He thought he heard Avery whisper something but did his best to ignore the potential pain of what the words might contain. All he could do was hope that he wouldn't follow for Snow had no idea what dangers awaited him through the forest. Outside the gate, he faced the decaying kingdom.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 16 - Glass · 06-17-12 1:56am
by Dawn Embers

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2405911