*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406104
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:00pm
June 17 - Ice
by Past Member 'murphyco'
The iceberg stood there, like the Statue of Liberty, a frozen monument to nature’s amazing strength. We’d been sailing for over a week, waiting and watching for any sight of the glaciers and their offspring icebergs. Captain Bill wouldn’t tell us when we’d be arriving; he just kept assuring us impatient tourist it would be well worth our wait (and healthy investment). Thank God my body finally adjusted to the ocean’s movement. With my seasickness over the first few days, I wondered if I’d be able to continue the journey. A handful of about five passengers opted out midway through, but I decided to hang on, feeling a bit better after my daily doses of ginger. The frigid nights were another challenge to surviving the trip, but most of us had adequate low temperature gear, as well as an ample supply of whiskey, to keep us relatively warm. The colder it got, the nearer we felt our reward should be. Then at last, on the morning of the tenth day one of the crewmates sited the tip of the ice range. We all gathered on the bow of the ship as soon as we got word and we never left our posts until the incredible panorama loomed before us. I reminded myself to breathe as we moved to the starboard side of the ship as it sailed beside the monstrous ice formations. Carl Sagan once said, “Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known.” I think I now know it.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 17 - Ice · 06-17-12 6:00pm
by Past Member 'murphyco'

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406104