*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406246
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 18, 2012 at 3:06am
June 17 - Ice
"Is this the plan? Go to the arctic to keep from hurting anyone, to hide your abilities in some snow covered lab community?" Ephram pulled his waterproof coat in around his body tighter out of habit. He should have put on the thermal layers the crew of the ship all wore but for the most part, cold had a minimal affect on him whether outside or below deck. Having a genetic mutation that affected his body temperature also meant cold or heat had less influence on him than it did on others.

Noah's coat hung loose around him as if the cold had not registered in his thought process. "You didn't have to volunteer to come with me."

"I know. But this isn't going to solve anything, Noah. This won't bring him back."

"Don't start with me on that, not now."

Ephram winced when Noah's grip on his arm shot a small electric charge through him. He knew that he didn't mean it, that emotions were the cause of the reaction. But he also knew that they needed to get it out if they were going to be in a limited space for months in a place surrounded by a landscape of snow and ice. "It wasn't your fault."

"You don't know that." Noah broke down, crouching on the small mattress in their room. "I thought he'd be safer if I went in and he left to find help. I should have kept him with me."

Settling next to him, Ephram put an arm around his shoulders to pull him closer. "But it wasn't you holding the knife. I know you wish it hadn't happened, I do too. But he's gone and you can't punish yourself by pushing everyone else away."

"It's all I know to do right now. I refuse to hurt those that I care about and no matter what I do, I end up hurting the ones I love. I'll be better off alone. No one should want to be with me anyways."

Despite the negative responses he'd received, Ephram struggled to keep his feelings contained. Over the past several months, they had spent time together training for the mission but it all had started the moment they both stood over Isaac's grave. He ached to end the conversation by wrapping his hands against the back of Noah's neck. Their lips would push together and there would be no denying the sparks that existed between them beyond the electricity of Noah's mutation. But he kept control of his desires. It was too early to make his move. He had to wait for the right moment.

Except, Noah pulled him closer the moment Ephram tried to stand from the bed. Their lips brushed against each other in a blissful moment that didn't last. Noah then pushed away, moving towards the door of the cabin, his voice shaky and a higher pitch at first. "We should go and you know, check out the view. I bet we are close to land and you'll want to see what the white snow mountains look like among the icebergs. Let's go."

Ephram sighed and followed him out of the room. Despite the frustration that shot through him, he at least knew he stood a chance.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 17 - Ice · 06-18-12 3:06am
by Dawn Embers

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406246