*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406302
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:56am
June 17 - Ice
by Diane
Grace stared at the photo of the glacier on the travel agency wall. She was taking a big step out of her comfort zone by planning a vacation to another country. Her vacation days were usually spent taking her mother to the doctors or waiting for a repairman. Every now and then she'd take a day to go to a movie and lunch, but that was a rare indulgence. She'd been planning to take a trip someday, but life got in the way and she'd never had the opportunity.

With Mom's passing and the unexpected money from the insurance company, Grace was throwing caution to the wind and taking a trip. Well, not total caution. She certainly wasn't going to wherever that glacier was. Her idea of a vacation leaned more toward sunshine than an ice covered ocean.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice behind her, "Are you going to Alaska too?" he asked.

Grace blushed and ducked her head, "Oh, no. I am thinking more of a beach vacation."

"Hmm, too bad. I was hoping I'd finally have something to look forward to on this trip," he smiled.

Grace was confused, "You don't want to go?"

"No, it was my kid brothers idea. He booked the trip to get me out of my comfort zone and then he bailed on me. The tickets are non-refundable so I'm stuck with the frozen tundra," he laughed.

"I'm sure you'll find something good about the trip. It looks like quite an adventure!"

Matt looked up at the photo, "I just don't know if adventure is my thing. I get enough of an adrenaline rush watching the Travel Channel."

Grace laughed, "I like that channel too. It's great imagining what all those places are like, but I'm with you, I am not sure I actually want to see them firsthand. Take that place," she motioned at the image of the glacier, "It makes me think of snuggling under the covers with a hot drink and good book!"

Matt watched Grace and thought he might enjoy the trip a lot more if he were able to snuggle up in the bed with her. Grace seemed to sense his thoughts and blushed again. "Well, have a great time on your trip and try to stay warm." she said, moving toward the counter to book a tropical vacation.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
June 17 - Ice · 06-18-12 9:56am
by Diane

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406302