*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406869
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(103)
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #994771
Do you have 15 minutes? Come in and join this contest!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 19, 2012 at 8:14pm
JUNE 19-MOSS
JUNE 19-MOSS

Kai slid the back pack from his shoulders and set it on the lush green forest floor.

“We’ll camp here for the night.” He said stretching and popping his neck. “The ridge I want to hunt on is about three miles to the north. This is a good base camp.”

Sebastian leaned his rifle against a nearby tree and ran his long fingers through the dense coating of moss that enshrouded the ancient plant’s huge trunk.

“Right three miles north.” he grimaced and stole a quick glance at Kai who was already unpacking their tent. The doctor had been lost for hours trudging blindly behind Kai with no concept of direction. “To the north, yup and that would be…which way? If moss grows on the north side of trees well I’d say we are screwed buddy. Looks like nobody told local the moss growers.”

“That way.” Kai offered flopping out the two man tent and pointing to their left. “If you get lost just follow the sun, you have your compass too right, Showed you how to use it.”

Sebastian groaned, compass sure, he had a topo map too but Kai’s brief lessons on land navigation had not exactly taken hold in his somewhat citified mind.

“Hey come here and gimme a hand.” Kai ordered “Grab that corner. Good, now look Bastian just slide the poles through here, like this and it will more or less build itself. I’m going for fire wood before it gets too dark.”

The other man froze tent poles in hand.

“You are doing what?” Suddenly the thick old growth forest seemed to squeeze all the air out of his chest. “In there away from me, me here alone. What if ‘you’ get lost, fall in a ravine get eaten by well whatever the hell is lurking out there, to hell with the sun and the map Kai I’ll be dead meat.”

“I’ll be back Bastian no worries, you have your gun, I have plenty of light and short of well mosquitos you’re pretty safe.” Kai explained as he slung his rifle onto his shoulder. He half thought the doctor was joking until he took a good look at the man. “Hey seriously I will be back.” He added. “Guess this is I a switch for us hunh? Go figure you scared shitless and having to totally trust in me.” He shook his head at the switch in roles and smiled. “Relax and set camp, I’ll be back with rabbits and wood. Trust me.”

Then with a nod of his head he started off, as Kai passed Sebastian he surprised him by reaching out and squeezing his friend’s shoulder; the first time Kai had ever initiated contact.

“You’ll be fine.”

The Doctor watched him march confidently into the verdant woods and rubbed at his arm.

“Yup buddy there’s a first time for everything.”
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
JUNE 19-MOSS · 06-19-12 8:14pm
by rothalion

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Legerdemain.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2406869