*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2611711
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1908885
Authors face off through their characters! Follow along & vote each round.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 23, 2013 at 8:42am
Edited: December 23, 2013 at 10:39pm
Round 1: The Race Begins
by Zelphyr
-| The Prompt |-

It was easy to lose track of time as the trials were carried out, from the first few to trickle in to the massive crowd that periodically fought among itself. It was four standard days before newcomers were shut out, though; long enough to gather quite the collection, without being so long as to bore Domumen. Over that period, probably a fifth of the hopefuls died in the crowd, while many, many more were killed off in the various trials. Of those who survived, some of those with the right attributes were simply recruited, though many had to be assured that they would not be chosen to compete either way.

At last, an enormous screen, high in the air, lit up, and Domumen again smiled down on everyone present.

"Hello! I'm sure you all already know, but I am Ja Domumen. I have met some of you, and some I have not, but I have been watching you all. I must say, I have been quite impressed by many of you. At the very least, the lot of you are still alive!"

The man laughed, and ran a hand through his slick hair.

"Now, before I announce the selected contestants, I would like to provide a notice for you all." The camera backed away, revealing another man, bound and gagged. A knife was also now visible in Domumen's hand. "This man was found trying to infiltrate us and steal away our precious prize. He had a partner who is presently... providing entertainment for some of my wonderful employees."

Without even looking at his captive, Domumen stabbed the knife back into the man's lower abdomen, causing him to scream through his gag. Domumen pulled the knife up sharply with nothing more than a slight frown, and finally angled it up into the man's chest cavity. The screaming turned to gurgling until the man slumped, while Domumen was brought a towel.

Smiling once again as he wiped the blood from his hands, he said, "Should any of you find someone doing the same, please alert one of my employees, and you will be handsomely rewarded. Now, on to the contestants!"

The camera followed Domumen to a table, and the dead man left the view. As he picked up a sheet, he announced, "Twenty of you have been selected to race. You may compete however you wish, so long as you remain on good old Toby. You will be provided with maps showing the areas you are required to make it through. I encourage you all to get creative. And, if everyone dies, then new contestants will be selected. Now, those selected to participate are..."

Looking at the paper, he cheerfully read, "Alexea Tong. Vincent Darren. Jayce Richardson. Zorecka zan Haught. Neva Louvenia. Lasdail. Wanderer. Saoirse Dwyer. Dremin Garesh. Chasu Prena. Someshiren. Basil Peters. Cento Darribas. Bla'ek Tamagrin. Calvmic Rhynn. Shanique Mosira. Nyn. Savai Borjath. Zygoslemiscus. Black Orchid."

He looked up once again, grinning. "Quite the mix we have, and some of you are already well-known in some circles. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this turns out! A transport is waiting for those selected. It will bring you to the start line. The rest of you may leave, or stay and watch, but I must ask you to please stop killing one another now. The custodians could use a break."

Just as it had appeared, the screen vanished.

-| Information |-

In this first round, locations are up to you, though they may not always be.

Entries can be up to 3000 words. The deadline for entries is Wednesday, January 22nd, midnight PST.

The additional characters may be used as you wish; using them can help improve the judgement you get, but only if you use them in a believable way. (Some of them are based off characters in my library, others are new.) Information about them can be found in "Re: Round 1: The Race Begins"   . I'm also not against you bringing in others who sneaked onto the planet, but try to keep that to a minimum.

-| The Pairings |-

lazymarionette and Neva Louvenia
vs.
AC Saeger and Lasdail

Bri*Star and Zorecka zan Haught
vs.
William Fowlkes and Vincent "Vince" Darren

Weirdone-Back in the games and Jayce Richardson
vs.
CJ Reddick and Alexea Tong

Robin and Saoirse Dwyer
vs.
Jakrebs and Wanderer
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Round 1: The Race Begins · 12-23-13 8:42am
by Zelphyr
Re: Round 1: The Race Begins · 12-23-13 11:09am
by Zelphyr

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elle - on hiatus.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2611711