*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2761623
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1901527
Stalled? We are ready to help you brainstorm your way past your hurdle.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Nov 17, 2014 at 2:06am
Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good.
I'm only twenty-seven, so I'm not dating myself with that title, I promise. It's just a really iconic line.

But seriously...I have been cheating on my novel with another one. As much as I love Jude, right now his story is somewhat boring as he works himself into the story, so getting the words out has drained me rather than invigorated my mind for more writing. It is not Jude's fault; he is the outsider in this story, making his way into a new world of which he knows nothing. Now that a certain, Witch-soul-destroying evil Priest is about to come in and catapult Jude into a conspiracy that the other characters have known about for some time now. And that should make it fun.

But it's still draining writing this story. A new world, a new story, and a beginning constrained by the fact that there is so much story to tell it will span multiple books. And there's the key of balancing Jude's somewhat ignorant beliefs with the fact that he is a really decent person, he has just been poorly taught. That's actually a really difficult balance to keep, which I had not necessarily realized. The most I can do is really have descriptions like some Templars were jerks and Jude didn't understand that, though he supposed it wasn't his place to judge. I have to rely on Matt amping up the "Templars are Richards (substitute the nickname)" feeling, making Jude seem like more of an aberration.

So, yeah, moving on...I've been cheating on Jude with three gentlemen by the name of Benvolio, Mercutio, and Tybalt. My secondary project, which is a really awesome re-telling of Romeo and Juliet involving an evil Capulet and faking Mercutio's death, has been bolstering my word count and giving me a break from the sheer effort of writing in a brand new world that is immensely complicated. It's so easy to write for these characters that it's almost like taking a break from writing at all, making it easier to go back to Jude and his somewhat heavy story.

Without these three gentlemen (my friend is taking care of Romeo and Juliet themselves, as well as Capulet), I don't think I would be able to win NaNo at all. So I just have to say...cheating is definitely good.
-Quaddy

*Reading* Check this Out! *Reading*
 The Earth Rising Quartet  (XGC)
Five-hundred years ago, Earth lost its rebellion. Now it's time for it to rise again...
#1837269 by Professor Q

*Down*Come Join In!*Down*
 The Dissolution of Alkonost   (GC)
A desert metropolis falls and magick fails in its seams. Who dares rise to save it?
#1968212 by Professor Q

*ThumbsUp*Great Contest Alert!*ThumbsUp*
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1897404 by Not Available.

A signature commissioned by my August SA and made by the lovely Pixie

"Make music. Break Boundaries. End Hate." Professor Q
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-17-14 2:06am
by Professor Q
Re: Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-17-14 5:47am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-17-14 6:18am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-17-14 6:47am
by Professor Q
Re: Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-18-14 12:11pm
by Odessa Molinari
Re: Re: Cheating, for lack of a better word, is good. · 11-18-14 7:51pm
by Professor Q

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2761623