*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2948695
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 22, 2016 at 2:35am
Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed in the ...
Ms. Willcox,

I agree with much that you say. I'm particularily impressed because you are a Brit, born and bred, and our politics so often seem a great mystery even to ourselves. I've long viewed the supposed political spectrum of left and right as a manipulation. Perhaps a better formulation would be the horseshoe of politics with the lucky few who reside in the center and freedom are flanked on right and left by authoritarians regardless of the flavor of the rhetoric.

This brings to mind the joke, "How can you tell if a politician is lieing?" answer, "His lips move."

I believe that you said that we are frustrated by lack of true information, I think that is true and wonder if I should depend more on the BBC for news than I do... well... I really don't listen to news as I find what I can sift from the agenda to be not much worth the effort.

Donald Trump does not agree with Donald Trump from day to day and much less today than with himself a few years ago. His supporters are likely a bit like me, not listening, but even I can recognize his bombastic protestations that "We will win" as being somewhat unlikely to be fulfilled on the face of it, nor do I think that the WE he talks about includes me or very many of those who will or have voted for him.

I think that fiction in general and fantasy in particular is a good place for talking about things. It can be done well.

On the other hand, I listened to ALL of "the Handmaid's Tale" and despite its acclaim think it is a very poor example. Be careful that your agenda doesn't show too much, too often, to the point and past of nausea.

Most importantly though, dear A E, I believe I should be working on a story and you were quite correct to point that out.

LSO
MESSAGE THREAD
"About a Month" and nothing discussed in the Writing Forum? · 03-21-16 4:45pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed in the Writing ... · 03-21-16 5:15pm
by Matt Bird MSci (Hons) AMRSC
Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed in the Writ... · 03-21-16 8:55pm
by A E Willcox
*Star* Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed in the ... · 03-22-16 2:35am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed in ... · 03-25-16 7:50am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discussed... · 03-25-16 7:52pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing discu... · 03-25-16 11:40pm
by A E Willcox
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "About a Month" and nothing d... · 03-26-16 2:45am
by L. Stephen O'Neill

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2948695