*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2978903
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 17, 2016 at 1:42am
Re: Re: Re: Googling Novella
Personally, I find novellas a wonderful intermediary when going from short story and novelette writing (where I started as a writer) to novels. For all intents and purposes they are long short stories. Or a serial of short story type "chapters." Ironically until the last twenty, maybe thirty years, many "novels" were just above novella in size. Or at least my book shelves full of 250-350 page paperback novels would tell me (I bought most of them before 1990).

Atop that, the novel is pretty much a moving target these days. If you look at Brandon Sanderson's works that are 400k words, those are more like mini-series in one bound cover. Yet romance novels rarely pierce the 100k word threshold, but are the highest sold genre of the last... twenty years?

I know my patience for mega novels has diminished with age. I mostly read online serials for the last ten years. And while some of those have gone well past 150k words, most slip in at under 80k.

Just saying, that with how publication, amateur and pro, changes through the decades and novella sales have improved over the last five'ish years, I doubt we have seen the end of this poorly defined and often maligned category.
MESSAGE THREAD
Googling Novella · 03-23-16 2:27am
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Googling Novella · 03-24-16 5:19pm
by Eliot Wild
Re: Re: Googling Novella · 03-27-16 1:33pm
by Tobber
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Googling Novella · 06-17-16 1:42am
by remusmdh

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2978903