*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3034078
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1474311
2023 Sign-ups are CLOSED. A month-long novel-planning challenge with prizes galore.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 25, 2016 at 1:51am
Day 24 reader and/or writer?
Tonight I went to a writers group I belong to. We were discussing the NaNo. One of they ladies piped up that she was writing a pioneer story. I asked if she could be more specific and I have read, many years ago, all the wagontrain western books I could find.

She proceded to tell me it was about a single woman leaving her past for a new start out west. I waited to hear what the catch was. She gave a few details about the woman and that she would have to overcome a lot to have her own place in Oregon. (yawn)

Then I asked her, what is different about your story that I haven't read in 50 other novels just like it? She told me HAD NOT read one novel on wagon trains, romance or mystery. She'd only read non fiction to get the facts straight.

I held my tongue. I wanted to shout, "If you haven't read one fiction novel about this subject why would you think anyone would pick up your book and read it?" I didn't, I just suggested a book I'd read that was a true biography about a woman who did just what she was describing. How about BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, WROTE THE BOOK It was amazing that she thought she was going to write a best seller on a tired old storyline. I could tell by her plot it was just a fiction woven around the same old woman against society and she would win, or would she?

In thinking about your story. Is it original? really original? there are no original plots just the same ones with really good conflict and plot twists. If you are writing a story that has been done over and over and you are going to add a twist here or a character there, when people pick it up are they going to see a new story?
How do you plan to make your story exciting? Fresh?

I know there are similar stories out there like mine. Not exactly. I'm using things like PTSD for a woman who went through a traumatic kidnapping. I don't remember any stories like that. I know that there are readers that like a good story to read on vacation, in front of a cosy fire during the winter. They want a good story that keeps them up until the book is done even if its 2:00AM
I like movies and one thing that gets me plugging my ears and closing my eyes is when the bad guy gets too close to one of my favorite characters and maybe captures them. I don't want them to die. (I dislike Mr. Martin, I won't kill MY darlings off)
Share how you see your story in a different light than others already published on the shelf.

Tina

Merit Badge in I Love WdC
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on nine wonderful years on WDC! Here's to many more years together. Hugs~Hannah ā™„
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 1:51am
by Quick-Quill
Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 4:07am
by Kalistra
Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 5:44am
by QPdoll
Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 12:05pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 7:48am
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 12:08pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 1:04pm
by Storm Machine
Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 1:25pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 1:33pm
by Sharon.NJ
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 2:00pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 8:15am
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶
Re: Re: Day 24 reader and/or writer? · 10-25-16 12:11pm
by Quick-Quill

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3034078